1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Guide - DVD & Video 2 iPod (new)

Discussion in 'iPod discussion' started by Lethal_B, Oct 15, 2005.

1. Ebener12

Ebener12 Guest

is there anything you can do to convert widescreen to fullscreen ?

2. Shinraboy

Shinraboy Regular member

@Mike

With videora, can i just click once and it will convert? Or do i have to set things up?

3. Lethal_B

Lethal_B Moderator Staff Member

LifesBane - there is no such program yet. but hang around for a bit, because it will happen eventually, like with the itunes songs. once the video is circulating properly, you will be able to find what you need :)

4. OCDgamer

OCDgamer Member

I've tried numerous programs and I can't get the videos to work. I tried many setting on each converter using the instructions. I tried PSP video 9, videora, mpeg4direct, avs video converter, and quicktime. None of them work and I ALWAYS get the error that the video cannot be played on this ipod.

5. OCDgamer

OCDgamer Member

Has anyone actually converted an xvid, divx, or mpeg to play on their ipod. I mean has someone actually put it on the ipod and watched it?

6. adamryer

adamryer Guest

Lethal_B, what types of video work with psp9? Do just avi files work or do mpeg files work too?

7. Lethal_B

if you have problems with psp9, try quicktime pro, or some of the others listed

the ipod is compatable with

H.264 video: up to 768 Kbps, 320 x 240, 30 frames per sec.,
    Baseline Profile up to Level 1.3 with AAC-LC up to 160 Kbps, 48 Khz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4 and .mov file formats
    MPEG-4 video: up to 2.5 mbps, 480 x 480, 30 frames per sec., Simple Profile with AAC-LC up to 160 Kbps, 48 Khz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4 and .mov file formats

Enjoy :)

8. OCDgamer

OCDgamer Member

I've tried to use those requirements, it won't seem to work with anything but quicktime. Do you think its possible apple quicktime does some special encoding or some process so only quicktime can do it? It's been kind of confusing telling if people just converted the video or actually did and put many diff. types of video on it. I mean different types as different file formats converted to ipod compatible ones.

9. Shinraboy

Shinraboy Regular member

if thats the case, apple better move their snooty @$$ and make it faster!

10. nelson30

nelson30 Guest

11. OCDgamer

OCDgamer Member

Yeah somebody mentioned that before. I've tried numerous programs and the only thing that I found that works is the PQ DVD to iPod Video Converter. It costs 35 bucks at their site, http://www.pqdvd.com/dvd-to-ipod-video-converter.html, and the trial can convert a 5-minute segment. It's also pretty fast, anyone having trouble should check it out.

12. slotdawg

slotdawg Member

Thanks for the guide, I've converted almost all of my music videos/captured videos successfully using the PSP9 converter. I'm having trouble however, converting DVDs using PQDVD's DVD to iPod converter. I can convert the video from the DVD, but only without audio. I can play the DVDs with no problem using PowerDVD. Am I missing a codec or something? Any suggestions? Thanks!

13. Wjason777

Wjason777 Regular member

as, i posted befor lethal i am still having problems putting videos on my ipod, i have tried using psp converter and Videora iPod Converter to convert a video then i put the file it itunes and i get a windows error and it just closes out tiunes

14. h4nh4n421

h4nh4n421 Member

hello lethal. i put the same setting as you put. but my audio and video does not play in sync. why is this??

15. Lethal_B

I am unsure of this, some people seem to be getting audio lag. re-check the guide though, my friend, as there are many other methods you can try! :)

16. Wjason777

Wjason777 Regular member

lethal do you know what is the cause of the problem that i am having?

17. juanster

juanster Guest

I use this...

http://www.omniquiti.com/store.php

It costs $5, but it works wonders for me. It takes .avi files and you can select a psp or ipod preset and it converts it for you. The new version is in beta and you can convert from a .vob file! A regular 22 minute t.v. episode takes about 15 min. to convert.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 2, 2005
  18. mnspink

mnspink Member

Isn't MP4 just a container for audio and video, which can be compressed using various codecs?

If so, what does "plays MP4 video" mean? In my mind, MP4 files can use divx, xvid, nero, etc.

Someone please educate me.

19. Lethal_B

Wjason777 - if you are getting the same problem using two diffetrent methods, it is definetely your itunes/or computer. Videora is specifically made for the ipod, and many people have had lots of success with it. I reccommmend uninstalling itunes and quicktime, & then re-installing.

All - also, try using some of the other links in the guide. They all work. Just find which best works for you ;)

Last edited: Nov 3, 2005
  20. Berge

Berge Member

I've had the same problem with PSP video 9. That is, iTunes reports that those files created with the program are incompatible. I was noticing the specs for the movies that the ipod can handle are 768kbits/sec.

I used all of the settings in the guide and converted a 22 minute movie. Upon completion I viewed the "Movie Info in Quicktime and it reports that the movie was converted with 880.5kbits/sec. Could it be that the kbits/sec are too high for the ipod? I know there were some spec mismatches on this forum, so I thought I'd throw that out there.

Anyone else able to play the videos with higher than 768kbits/sec?

I'm not at home so I can't try reconverting the movie at a lower rate, someone want to try it and let us know?