1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Guide - DVD & Video 2 iPod (new)

Discussion in 'iPod discussion' started by Lethal_B, Oct 15, 2005.

1. lutkica25

lutkica25 Member

hey lethal, ok heres the thing i open Videora, hit convert which brings me to that screen to hit the transcode button which i do, then a window pops up and asks to select a file, it say look in itunes in the box (you where you can choose my documents, etc.) under that where you would select files there is itunes music and previous itunes libraries i click on both and got nothing. then at the bottom it has files of type: media files, i open that and bring it down to all files and got itunes library and itunes music library in addition to the other two. when i click on either of those to open that is when the window closes and which ever one i clicked on out of those two will go into the new transcoding job in the area of title. but i dont get the names of the videos i have. for instance, i have the video of rihanna if its loving that you want, that does not come up or any other video file i have and i did transfer them from limewire to itunes so shouldnt it but in one of those folders???? im not a genious at computers but i can get what i need, but this im just not getting!!!! very frustrating might i add!!! HELP thanx again

2. lutkica25

lutkica25 Member

another quick question: my computer is older prob about 6 yrs i think, anyway if the computer can't play a dvd then you cant get it on to play to convert it to your ipod right??? prob a stupid question but im new at this video ipod stuff..lol thanx n advance

3. KnicksKid

KnicksKid Member

Question, if you have the 30GB video ipod, how long should your battery last when watching a video?

4. evnflow

evnflow Guest

dumb question: ipod nano doesn't support any video format, does it?

5. Lethal_B

Lethal_B Moderator Staff Member

nope :( sorry.

Don't quote me on this, but I have read somewhere that you should get up to 4.5 hours continuous video
    lutkica25 - Nope. you need a dvd burner to be able to even think about converting them for your ipod.

With regards to your renaming problem, I am not sure. Maybe try psp9, which is a similar program and you get to keep the filenames :eek:)

No worries :eek:)

If you have any other queries, happily post away ;)

Peace gang~

Lethal

Last edited: Dec 8, 2005
  6. Londor

Londor Guest

30GB: Up to 14 hours of music playback; up to 3 hours of slideshows with music; up to 2 hours of video playback

60GB: Up to 20 hours of music playback; up to 4 hours of slideshows with music; up to 3 hours of video playback

http://www.apple.com/uk/ipod/specs.html

The 60GB has a better battery life because it has 64MB of RAM instead of the 32MB in the 30GB so it has to access the HD less often.

7. Bibjo

Bibjo Member

Hi, I am new to this site and am not too hot on this type of stuff, so please be patient with me? I have a new 60gb video ipod for xmas and have tried the free trial PQ Dvd to convert dvd to mpeg4. I have downloaded the software as suggested and when I insert my dvd into the laptop (sony vaio XP, windows XP business) I open PQDVD and then the open button and nothing happens, it doesnt find the dvd. The dvd I inserted was a DVDRW with a tv programme recorded onto it. Does anyone have any ideas why this is happening? thanks

8. trankd88

trankd88 Member

Hey guys I'm new to the forum. I read around a little but I couldn't find anyone else that had the problem. I just bought the full version of the program. After entering the emailaddress and register code, it gives me a "Please restart program after register" message. I'm not sure what to do but to restart cucusoft. But I get the same problem again. Thanks for the any help!

9. GODSON

GODSON Guest

Ok I have no clue what the problem is and I need help bad. I have window xp on my dell computer. Now I put the dvd into my computer then opened my dvd decrypter. I fellow the psp link to the T. After that I open my videora ipod and let it converted. Upload it to Itunes and update Ipod and no dice. Same problem when I use STOIK video with files I have on my computer. I take the avi file and use the videora ipod program and and no dice when I update the ipod. I have a 60gb video ipod (white). Can somebody help me you can email me or post here thankyou

10. nolec5

nolec5 Guest

Lethal_B - I purchased the PQ DVD product and have been having great success with getting DVD's onto my iPod video (60), thank you very much.

One quick question though....a lot of my videos are wide screen. Is there a good way of doing the settings to set these type DVD's up to be full screen on the iPod Video??

I've tried setting the aspect ratio to stretch the picture but this always seems to crash the the program for some reason. Any help or tips?? Or is it even a good idea to try and strech a widescreen edition? I'm new to all of this if you can't tell.... Thanks in advance!!

11. Laxington

Laxington Member

Battery Power Remains almost 1 Hour when you watch a Movie!!!! Not longer! I've ported 10 Movies to my iPOD 30G and i couldnt watch one movie until its end!!!!!! iPod Movie sucks!

And 14 hours of music means that you shouldnt tip the next button, so the display backlight turns on. you should turn of the backlight of your display then, your ipod works fine for almost 8 hours and not longer!!!!!

Please do me a favour and dont tell me that i should send in my ipod because the battery is damaged, no was this is my second ipod movie 30G. The fist one i already have sent back because of these issues (i thought the battery was damaged).

Yours,
    lax

12. Lethal_B

So what exactly [bold]do[/bold] you want? the 60gb has better battery, so that is your only option

13. Laxington

Laxington Member

well, thats true lethal, but the 60G was (in my opinion) too expensive, so i decided to buy the 30G version. but after all, im truely satisfied,because the ipod is not vor video in the first. its a very good mp3 player with a video option.

but for those who are interstet in converting dvds into ipod videos here a quick guide which worked really fine for me:

Which software do you need?

1. dvd shrink
    2. videora ipod converter

Guide:

1. rip your dvd (only the movie) into ONE (this is important!) VOB File (Edit/Preferences/output files/ and deactivate "Split VOP files into 1GB size chunks ...).

2. start Videora and click on convert/transcode new video and select "quality profile" MPEG4/Movie 0-2h

Thats all, now you will get cool movies in correct aspect ratio 16:9 without stretching the movie or something like that.

If you have questions, feel free to post I'll answer or help.

yours,
    lax

14. nolec5

nolec5 Guest

Laxington - does your above post have anything to do with my last post regarding the letterbox/widescreen movies or are you just screwed with the widescreen movies? Is your way a better option?

15. Lethal_B

nice one lax. if you want to, you can pm me with that guide and anything you want to add, then I will add it in my guide at the top and credit you for it.

Laters

Lethal

16. hobbitnic

hobbitnic Member

Dear lethal,

Your guide has so far been super helpful and we all thank you ever so much for taking the trouble with it, and with this thread. I have yet another question to add to your list of thousands.

I'm trying to use PQ DVD to convert a DVD from the video store into an appropriate format. Whenever I enter *any* DVD I get the following error message after it tries to detect the disc:

"Access violation at address 00406797 in module 'PQDVD_iPod.exe'. Read of address 00000000."

Can you help? It's sounding like an installation problem. Thank you :)

Nic.

17. Laxington

Laxington Member

thank you lethal, you dont have to mention me actually i was inspired of your guide and did some experiments myself. so, first of all thank you ;-)

hi nolec5, widescreen doesnt screw me up anymore, because when you make it as i wrote above, your ipod will playback your widescreen movies with the black stripes at the top and bottom, so your movieslook normal. its just a quick way to port movies - when you dont have much time and want a quick conversion.

yours,
    lax

18. Lethal_B

No Problem :)

Try Posting In dkmopq's guide, he's the cucusoft man :)

19. DarkJello

DarkJello Regular member

Regarding the battery life of the 30G iPod, I get an hour and a half of video [bold] with [/bold] the backlight on. And my experience with rechargable batteries is to run them all the way out before charging them the first time and it is [bold] very [/bold] important to charge the battery all the way the first time. When my iPod came it said it was fully charged but the battery lasted 4 hours if I can recall correctly.

My only problem occurs with the video, I noticed someone else asked this question but there wasn't an answer I don't believe. The sound in most of the movies I've converted [with PQ DVD to iPod Video] is a little ahead of the actual picture. Could that be my computer's to slow to convert the video at the same pace as the sound? The only thing that would prevent me from thinking that is that as far as I can tell with 10 minute long movie segments or so, that the audio isn't getting progressively farther ahead of the video.

Thanks for any help you have to offer.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2005
  20. DewTheDo

DewTheDo Member

For my Videora Convetor, I have the settings at MPEG-4 > FQ-VBR, QScale: 2 (better quality = lower) Res. 320x240, Framerate: Input, Passes: 2 (can be 1 if you are in a rush) and all other blanks at 1:1 or 0.

And I would like to add (Haven't read most of the thread), converting to over 320x240 is only necessary or useful at all when you plan to connect your iPod to a TV.