1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

GUIDE - how to make a document.dat file

Discussion in 'Sony PSP - Mod and firmware discussion' started by deejizzle, Jan 21, 2007.

1. deejizzle

deejizzle Guest

How to make a document.dat

Alright, so just to start off I just want to let you guys know that I am no PSP expert, I learn from forums and reading guides, piecing together the puzzle. Making a document.dat is really easy. There’s two ways of doing this. The first is using a .txt file and the other is using a .png or other image file extension. You would use a .txt file if you want to read a walkthrough while playing a game such as Final Fantasy VII. You use a .png if you want to actually read a manual for a game or a walkthrough with images. So let’s get started.

First of all, you will need to download a file. It is a document.dat maker. The current version is 0.21. You can download it from here.
    http://pspupdates.qj.net/index.php?pg=49&aid=78944
    Choose your correct operating system, Either Microsoft or Linux, you’ll most probably have Microsoft. Extract all the files into a folder that’s easy to access. I usually extract stuff to my desktop. Now we can start.

Let’s start off with .txt

1) Obtain your guide for your game off the internet or wherever.
    2) Open notepad
    3) Copy and paste the parts you need, or if you really want to copy everything into notepad.
    4) Save the file under whatever name. Remember where this file is.
    5) Open up the PSPdocmaker.exe
    6) Click on add .txt files and select the .txt file you recently created.
    7) Insert your game code at the bottom that corresponds with the game you want to open this up with. For example, if I was making a walkthrough for my FFVIII, my code would be SCUS 00892. Each game is different. You can figure this out easily if you have already played the game and created a gamesave. Connect your psp and go into your gamesave folder, where you’ll see the gamesave for your psx game.
    8) At the bottom right, click create
    9) Your document.dat will appear in the same folder where you created your .txt file
    10) Copy the document.dat in folder of your game. Example: Final Fantasy VIII disc one. In this folder should be your PBP, keys file, and this document.dat

Now the .png

1) Obtain your .png or whatever image. Certain extensions are supported. A few are .jpeg and .bmp.
    2) Open PSPdocmaker.exe
    3) Click select files
    4) Highlight all your image files and click open
    5) Make sure the game code corresponds with the game you want to open this with
    6) Click on create and your document.dat will be made out of the images.
    7) Copy your document.dat to the folder of your game. This folder should contain the .PBP file, the keys file and now your document.dat file

Very easy see? If I’ve forgotten anything then tell me please, I just want to help the public. I’ll also try to answer all your questions.

2. mrgooey

mrgooey Regular member

u ask if u want to make the guide ... and no one answer so u still decide to make this guide ... :eek:

3. deejizzle

deejizzle Guest

i was bored. lol

4. deejizzle

deejizzle Guest

wow, i dont think this guide was really needed..

5. chanman1

chanman1 Regular member

wait so this is for the 'game manual' option when u press 'home' while playing a psx game? this creates a manual that u can view?

6. deejizzle

deejizzle Guest

yeap. it can be for the game manual or it can be a walkthrough. whatever you prefer.

7. chanman1

chanman1 Regular member

awesome! thanks

8. deejizzle

deejizzle Guest

np! just glad to know that my guide is finally needed.

9. chanman1

chanman1 Regular member

is it possiblet zoom while viewing? my pictures are like 2000 by 1000 big but when it shows it, the font is especially unclear? would making the pictures smaller work? i'm using a strategy guide that i extracted the pictures out of.

10. deejizzle

deejizzle Guest

im not really sure, havent worked with pics a lot, try sizing down to the 300s. not really sure. sorry.

11. TRiiGGS

TRiiGGS Member

Does this only work with PSX games?

I'd love to be able to do this with my GBA games or even normal PSP games.

12. chanman1

chanman1 Regular member

only psx games