1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Guide: How to use Friidump (Windows)

Discussion in 'Nintendo Wii / Wii U' started by sld87, Oct 11, 2007.

1. sld87

sld87 Member

Hi guys,

Thought i'd post a little miniguide on gow to use Friidump for the dos-illiterate.

Step One: Download the windows installer, or zip file here:
    Windows Installer
    Windows Zip

Step 2: Opening up the program.

-Click on the start menu, and hit run
    -in the prompt, type "cmd" to bring up the command prompt.
    (Note: In vista, the prompt is located above the windows orb when clicked.)
    [​IMG]

Step 3: Locating in MS DOS.

-Once you are in the command prompt, type "cd.." repeatedly until you are at the C:\
    -Then, use the "cd" (Change Directory) command until the folder where friidump is located is selected (As shown below)
    [​IMG]

Step 3: Running the program with the desired parameters

-Because this program is line based, you need to execute the program and all its parameters in the one line.
    -You will see the list of parameters when you run the program (As shown below)
    [​IMG]

Now, what we want to do is have the CD in the drive ready to go. From here its just a matter of typing in the line depending on what we do.
    Here is a command to automatically dump the image in your drive (Mine is set to G:\), automatically name it and store it within the friidump folder.
    friidump -d g: -a does this command, and you should see something like what is shown below. Only, when you do this, eventually you will see the disc information pop up, as well as the status of the rip and the ETA.
    [​IMG]

Once you get familiar with how the commands are executed, you can do the other stuff it offers such as being able to name it to whatever you wish. The reality of it, is that its much easier to do just what i did and rename it in windows afterwards.

Now, the important stuff: All Wii games must have the appropriate byte size which is constant for all games. This is 4.37gb. As stated in the rawdump thread, any rips that are off this target are bad.

Finally, you can create a batch file which can save you a lot of time. To do this, open up the cmd prompt and type in edit: <NAMEITSOMETHING>.bat. This will create a batchfile in the C:\ and bring you to a screen where you can retype everything i've done above and save it. That way, you only need to execute that batch file instead of having to retype it over again every time.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------

There, i hope what i've said makes sense to the DOS-illiterate ones out there. I know it took me a long time how to get the hang of it so i thought i'd go ahead and put it out there for those who might be struggling. Apologies if this has already been posted somewhere!

Stef
  2. AfterDawn

AfterDawn Advertisement

3. sld87

sld87 Member

Also as an aside, found that imaging times on the default speed (Which is set to the highest) tend to be around 4 hours...But still, for the people like me who cant get Rawdump to detect the drive, its the only alternative!
  4. tommy804

tommy804 Member

THANK U SO MUCH BUDD, i was posting around to see if anyone could teach me and u did, u ARE my savior, now someone just needs to help me with rawdump.., i can detect the disk but it stops dumping..lol
  5. babylons5

babylons5 Member

I've used it with my new GDR-H30N drive. Althought it say it's not a supported drive and it reverted back to basic Hitachi mode or something like that to read the disc, it read the Wii disc fine and completed successfully. However, when I burn the iso file to DVD+R disk, my Wii couldn't read it. My Wii has the Wiikey installed and it read DVD+R discs that I created from download Wii iso fine. What give? Is it that hopeless for GDR-H30N drive? I've seen mixed info on this drive. I'm still hopefull that it'll work.
  6. kenio8185

kenio8185 Regular member

what exactly is this for?
  7. sld87

sld87 Member

Friidump, the latest ISO ripper for Wii and gamecube games.
  8. tommy804

tommy804 Member

thanks man, i just dumped my first 2 games!!!!=D, the game i rented could not be dumped for some reason on rawdump or friidum -__-......but the games i bought could..
  9. sld87

sld87 Member

No problems dude, i created this guide cause my own issues with learning how to use the program were frustrating in itself.

I just got a wii key installed today in Melbourne, Australia. Now i'm off to the video store :D
  10. sld87

sld87 Member

Guys do yourselves a favour if you use this and create yourselves a .bat file like i said in the opening post. I never realised how easy it is once you create something like this. Now instead of having to run the cmd then type in all the shortcuts, you just double click the icon! It even closes down when its done ;)

In mine i just write:
    cd..
    cd..
    cd program files
    cd friidump 0.3.0
    /// THEN TYPE THE RUN PARAMETERS HERE
  11. jfranklin

jfranklin Guest

when you type "-d g: -a" where do the iso save i cant find it anywhere
  12. Gohdan

Gohdan Guest

LOL. I'm a NEWB!

I've dumped a Wii disc, so I know my drive is compatible, even though it says it isn't. But I'm trying to dump a GC disc, and it says it is a Wii disc - the file ends up being 4.3 GB for a GC dump. Any ideas why this is happening, or how to fix it?
  13. sld87

sld87 Member

It saves to the directory you have friidump in. Try searching in windows for it if you cant find it!
  14. Key4Wii

Key4Wii Member

Hmmm...Can't use this for GameCube games? Trying to back up my AR v1.2 for GC. RawDump 2.0 don't work, and this one don't work too. Help!
  15. sld87

sld87 Member

Not sure about gamecube games mate never tried it. Has anyone?
  16. Cizzle

Cizzle Member

links don't work anymore!
    anyone got a different place to download it?? Thanks!
  17. mohlub

mohlub Member

hi newby here how do I type the run parameter..You mean just type "RUN" thanks.
  18. mohlub

mohlub Member

babylons5 did you ever get yours to work? I got the same drive and when it's reading the disc the drive light never blink but its act as if reading. hope this drive work cause I would hate to get another one..
  19. Yahoo2020

Yahoo2020 Member

Newbie needs Help!!! I used friidump and it appeared to finish. My hard drive also is reduced by 4 plus gigs. friidump was installed in the program files directory. I searched all over but could not find the iso.

Thanks in advance.
  20. sld87

sld87 Member

As in, friidump -d g: -a

Hope that helps.

And in regards to finding the search. What iso did you burn? It will tell you the exact name of it (Or just have a guess its usually the full name of the game) and do a search. Or just search for *.iso
  21. sld87

sld87 Member

Oh almost forgot, the drive "g:" is what i use for ripping, yours will no doubt be a different one, just replace with that.