1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Guide on how to use Gameshark 2 V1/2 and V3 codes using EA method(fliptop/slide) with your backups

Discussion in 'PS2' started by Hanedrick, Jun 4, 2004.

1. Hanedrick

Hanedrick Regular member

Hey, I thought this might be useful for those of you who use the fliptop/slide/no-solder mod and want to use Gameshark codes with their backups. I provide instructions for Gameshark versions 1-4. Well here it is:
    [bold]Gameshark 2 V1/2/AR2[/bold]
    CD BACKUPS:
    1. Boot Gameshark 2 v1/2
    2. Select the cheats you want
    3. Go to Start Game/With codes
    4. swap the Gameshark 2 v1/2 with the cd-r backup using ea method and press x
    5. Your backup will now load with cheats

DVD BACKUPS:
    1. Boot Gameshark 2 V1/2
    2. Select the cheats you want
    3. Go to start game/With cheats
    4. Swap the Gameshark 2 V1/2 with the cdloader using EA method and press x
    5. When the cdloader loads press eject and swap the cdloader with a high toc original such as the swap magic dvd and press eject to close it.
    6. Wait about 7 seconds and press x
    7. when the screen says swap "dvdr by ea method" swap the toc original with your dvd-r backup using EA method and press x
    8. Your backup will now load with cheats

[bold]Gameshark 2 V3/4/AR MAX[/bold]
    CD BACKUPS
    1. Boot Gameshark 2 V3
    2. Select the codes you want
    3. Select Start Game
    4. The cd/dvd drive will now eject automatically.
    If you have a version 1-8 ps2 replace the Gameshark 2 V3 with the swap magic cd.
    If you have a version 9/10 ps2 replace the Gameshark 2 V3 with the Swap magic dvd.
    Once you have made the appropriate swap press eject to close the cd/dvd drive and press x.
    5. Once the Swap magic cd/dvd has loaded do the following...
    If you have a version 1-8 ps2 swap the swap magic cd with the cdloader using ea method and press x.
    If you have a version 9/10 ps2 swap the swap magic dvd with the dvdloader using ea method and press x.
    6. Once the cd/dvdloader has loaded press eject and swap the cd/dvdloader with the original cd game and press eject to close.
    7. Wait about 7 seconds and swap the cd original with your cd-r backup and press x.
    8. Your backup will now load with cheats.

DVD BACKUPS
    1. Boot Gameshark 2 V3
    3. Select Start Game
    If you have a version 1-8 ps2 replace the Gameshark 2 V3 with the swap magic cd.
    If you have a version 9/10 ps2 replace the Gameshark 2 V3 with the Swap magic dvd.
    Once you have made the appropriate swap press eject to close the cd/dvd drive and press x.
    If you have a version 1-8 ps2 swap the swap magic cd with the cdloader using ea method and press x.
    If you have a version 9/10 ps2 swap the swap magic dvd with the dvdloader using ea method and press x.
    6. Once the cd/dvdloader has loaded press eject and swap the cd/dvdloader with a high toc original such as the swap magic dvd and press eject to close.
    7. Wait about 7 seconds and press x.
    8. Once the screen that says "swap dvdr by ea method" comes up swap the high toc original with your dvd-r backup using ea method and press x.
    9. Your backup will now load with cheats.

Feel free to let me know of any problems you may have or any mistakes I may have made. Happy cheating :)
    -Hanedrick
    EDIT: The method for booting Gameshark 2 Version 3 codes does work for the Gameshark 2 version 4 as I have just tested it.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG]
    PS2 cd/dvd burning guide: http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/15105
    How to use any Gameshark version (1-4) with your backups: http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/87923[/small]

Last edited: Jun 11, 2004
  2. Hanedrick

Hanedrick Regular member

Last edited: Jun 8, 2004
  3. midgarguy

midgarguy Member

I have a version 3 PS2 and none of the tricks for the AR MAX work at all.

For one, the disk does NOT automatically eject and when you eject the tray yourself it still will not load any of the swap magic disks.

4. Hanedrick

Hanedrick Regular member

The swap magic discs won't load? Do they load when you boot them up when you first turn on your ps2? The only thing I can think of is that your AR MAX has trouble booting any original game. Have you tested to see if your AR MAX can boot any other originals with codes? I live in the US and don't own an AR MAX and had not originally included that this method worked for the AR MAX. However someone in this thread http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/88648 tried it with the AR MAX and got it to work (he didn't get it to work the first time because the codes for the games he tried were duds but after he tried it with games that had working codes it worked.)
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG]
    PS2 cd/dvd burning guide: http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/15105
    How to use any Gameshark version (1-4) with your backups: http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/87923[/small]

Last edited: Jun 14, 2004
  5. Chase77

Chase77 Guest

reading through the instructions, i do not know what the cdloader or dvdloader is? And also what the EA method means? Can you please explain?

6. Hanedrick

Hanedrick Regular member

The cdloader/dvdloader are boot discs you burn to a cd-r and you use it to fix games with the double boot check. EA methods are methods like Fliptop cover/slide-card/no-solder mod.

7. adriang14

adriang14 Guest

do u need a flip top to use a gameshark to play back ups

8. midgarguy

midgarguy Member

No you do not need a fliptop for anything. Just use a slidecard and the new swap magic set 3.2

BTW, the new gamesharks and action replays do not work.
    I dont care how many times you try, they don't work.

The thread is wrong!!!

9. yugioh2me

yugioh2me Regular member

It works with GS V3/V4, I just tested it.

10. Jizmak

Jizmak Regular member

The new AR MAX DOES WORK
    (dont let anyone tell you different)

DVD BACKUPS
    1. Boot AR MAX
    3. Select Start Game
    If you have a version 1-8 ps2 replace the AR MAX with the swap magic cd.
    If you have a version 9/10 ps2 replace the AR MAX with the Swap magic dvd.
    6. Once the cd/dvdloader has loaded press eject and swap the cd/dvdloader with a high toc original such as the swap magic dvd and press eject to close.
    7. Wait about 7 seconds and press x.
    8. Once the screen that says "swap dvdr by ea method" comes up swap the high toc original with your dvd-r backup using ea method and press x.
    9. Your backup will now load with cheats.

CD BACKUPS
    1. Boot AR MAX
    3. Select Start Game
    If you have a version 1-8 ps2 replace the AR MAX with the swap magic cd.
    If you have a version 9/10 ps2 replace the AR MAX with the Swap magic dvd.
    6. Once the cd/dvdloader has loaded press eject and swap the cd/dvdloader with the original cd game and press eject to close.
    7. Wait about 7 seconds and swap the cd original with your cd-r backup and press x.
    8. Your backup will now load with cheats.

11. chromdome

chromdome Member

Anyone know how to make a backup copy of the AR MAX work in the new PS TWO? I can boot it with Swap Magic v3, but the disk never stops spinning so I can not replace the disk with my game disk. Any ideas?

12. kayem

kayem Member

how do you play copied games with Gameshark when you do have a modchip? It keeps telling me that the CD is unreadable or something along those lines.

13. fullArmor

fullArmor Member

I've been having the same prob for quite sometime now, unable to have any cheat codes to work with my backups.

Here's my spec:
    * PS2 v9 unchipped, two 8MB memcard (1st slot loaded with MemExploit + CogSwap), SwapMagic DVD 2.0
    * Gameshark2 v4, AR Max, CodeBreaker 6 (all CD-R backups)
    * And about 100+ PS2 games (mostly Jap import) all DVD-R backups

That's right! I do not own even 1 single legal copy of PS2 game!

But that's beside the point. The point is I've been playing all my backups happily with SwapMagic and CogSwap no prob. But recently I couldn't get any cheats (GS, AR, CB, you name it, I tried them all) to work with any games. The games can still load and play fine, just that the codes not functioning.

But it did work for me before as I remember vividly when playing Maximus - Army of Zin. But now it doesn't with other games. I went to great lengths trying to figure out why some games works and some don't. I Thought maybe it was the cheat device not compatable with my v9, so I tried different version of GS, AR, CB; thought maybe the release groups had modified something so to make the backups work and that all "official" codes are created based on orignal games, I spent hours studying how the codes are created, how to decipher the PS2 programming structure and to pin-point a value in a certain memory address and so to finally create my own codes for the very copy of backup games I have at hand; thought maybe the cheat devices not able to recognize the codes, I dug deep and studied the encryption/decryption methods of each cheat devices, and as a result has made me a master in converting codes between any devices, import/native and vise versa.

But still, some games work and some don't. Today, I still don't know why it is how it is.

Hanedrick:

After reading your instructions, I found the only thing you did differently than I is that you pop in the cdloader and swapmagic one extra time. Normally I just go GS -> swapmagic -> backups. From what I know about cdloader is that it's only needed for games that require special fixes to play. Since the game (I'm playing Resident Evil Deam Aim at the moment) can load fine without using cdloader to begin with, I doubt these two extra steps will make any difference. But nontheless it's worth a try since I'm out of ideas already. I'll post back tomorrow with results.

14. fullArmor

fullArmor Member

HOLY MOSES! IT WORKS!! YOU ARE A GENIUS, HANEDRICK! THANK YOU THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!

Now I can finally enjoy my zombie-killing frenzy! Infinite ammo, yeah!!

Here's what I did:

PS boot disk -> GameShark -> SwapMagic DVD -> CDLoader -> SwapMagic DVD -> Backups

5 swappings in total, and that's with my MemExploit + CogSwap preinstalled in my memcard to save a few swappings already. If you don't have those, let's see how many swappings you'll need (assuming you own an unchipped/unmodded v9 PS2):

SwapMagic DVD -> CDLoader -> PS original "black-back" -> GameShark -> SwapMagic DVD -> CDLoader -> SwapMagic DVD -> Backups

That's 7 swappings in total. So I only saved 2 swappings by pre-installing MemExploit + CogSwap in my memcard? Doesn't sound much, but when you consider normal plays (not using GS) for CD games, 2 out of 3 is alot!

Lots of disk swapings but so long it does the job I'm not complaining :)

P.S. Newbies are advised to check out www.swapmagicfix.com if you feel lost reading my posts.

15. fullArmor

fullArmor Member

BTW, CDLoader and DVDLoader are the exact same thing! The diff is just that you bun it onto a CD-R or a DVD-R. Most folks don't have a clue how to compile a disk image for PS2, so some release group did just that (compile a DVD image with just all CDLoader files), zipped it up and called it "DVDLoader". The downside of using a ready-to burn image is you waste 650+ MB of good spaces for a CD-R, and 4.5+GB for a DVD-R! What's like wasting an entirely new DVD-R! I would never do that. I always pack CDLoader with a few games altogether on 1 DVD-R, and that's real value of CDLoader. The beauty about CDLoader is not the indiviual fixes (which I hardly ever use any) but is menu that allows you to select between multiple games/proggies stored on 1 single disk. My highest record has 12 games (both CD & DVD) thrown on 1 DVD-R, but that did take quite some time to compile, so now I only do 2 or 3 games max on 1 disk, since the price of DVD-R is much cheaper now...

16. omegaharb

omegaharb Member

hey i see you have understand with gameshark 2 version 2 so i was wondering if i could ask you a question about it cuz it is causeing me huge probs. Do you hink u maybe able to help?

17. ltg21

ltg21 Member

I have a PS2V3 with swap magic 3.6+ and GS2V3. i have tried the steps provided in this thread, but no luck. What improperly perform step would cause the codes not to load?

thanks in advance

18. namix1

namix1 Guest

what about us v-12 slimp ps2's?

19. jose9th

jose9th Member

nevermind.... i got it
    thanx

Last edited: Dec 30, 2005
  20. biopsiste

biopsiste Member

i have two questions:
    does GS only allow to enter codes for ntsc games? because i own a pal console and pal games.
    i have ps2 v3 and GS2V3 (backup, so i load it with swap magic cd). point 6. for DVD backups doesnt work, as cdloader doesnt load at all. instead, the console browser screen appears. can someone help me?