1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Guide: PS2 DVD Backup Using Swap Magic

Discussion in 'PS2 - DVD backup discussion' started by fastd23, Nov 2, 2004.

1. fastd23

fastd23 Member

I have had a hard time getting the burn process down right backing up my PS2 games so i figured i'd share what i have learned. All you need is DVD Decrypter and a burner. Create an ISO on your HD then Burn the ISO at the slowest possible speed to ensure a accurate burn. That was the problem i was coming across. I would burn the DVD at a higher speed and everytime i used Swap Magic to load the backup it would put a red/pink border around the "insert disk" screen. BURN AT THE SLOWEST SPEED!! THAT IS THE KEY! Let me know if i can help anyone with this..even though i'm new to PS2 backups i'd be glad to share anything i have learned! BTW I AM USING DURABRAND DVD+R AND MAXELL DVD+R'S to back my games up. So far every burn has been a success. Post a reply if you have ?'s

Last edited: Nov 2, 2004
  2. gurp

gurp Member

i burn at medium speed (4x) and it always works with swap magic (unless has double protection), using easy media creater 7
    my burner is 8x
    benq media works good

3. diverine

diverine Member

Hi,
    I just bought Memorex DVD-R 8x and I do have a Magic Card. I've been using Alcohol 120% and DVD Enctypter at SLOWEST write speeds, however each time I am getting that PINK/RED border.... Any ideas??? Thanks in advance...

4. fastd23

fastd23 Member

I really don't know what your problem is. Here is a step by step process of what i've had luck with.

1. Open DVD Decrypter, go to mode, ISO, Read.
    2. This will save the image on your HD
    3. Usually this takes 4-7 min. to complete.
    4. Once the image is complete, go to mode, ISO, write.
    5. In the bottom right hand side of the screen change the speed to 1x or 2x.
    6. Start the burn. This usually takes 15-20 min.
    7. Load the Swap magic DVD and do the slide.
    8. After your backup is in the PS2 hold down the X.
    9. If the burn was a success you will see a blue border.

I hope that helped. BTW i haven't been using DVD-R discs. I have used Maxell/Memorex DVD+R's and Durabrand DVD+R.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2004
  5. stilz

stilz Member

Since you seems to be able to use DVD+R blanks, may I ask what version your PS2 is? Mine seems to be version 5 or 6 and I'm hoping it would read DVD+Rs. Any way to test this without having Swap Magic discs? (haven't got them yet). Thanks.

6. fastd23

fastd23 Member

My PS2 is a V4 i believe. I'll have to double check though and make sure. So far it has read every backup i've made and backup movie using DVD+R's. I'll post the version later. BTW the only way i know how to test to see if it would read DVD+R is to make a backup of a DVD movie. There might another way that i don't know of...hope that helped

Last edited: Nov 4, 2004
  7. welcome3

welcome3 Guest

I always get a blue border but my games wont run... Dont know what i am f\doing wrong. I burn at 1x, and use dvd decrypter as well.

8. stilz

stilz Member

Thanks for the prompt reply ;)

9. patman89

patman89 Member

im gettein that pink border but ive done everything right i have a retail copy of san andreas and i use the iso read mode on decrypter then i use iso write mode to write the mds file at 1x but i still get the pink border mayb its because im usin HB media but iono can someone help please!!!1

10. fastd23

fastd23 Member

It probably is the media. I made a successful burn of san andreas using Memorex DVD+r discs. Good luck

11. fiapop

fiapop Member

well i used a verbatim dvd-r and burned at 2X... and im still getting red border when i load.

12. welcome3

welcome3 Guest

It is the media. I got my g04 and sucessfully backed up my san andreas. works perfectly. I tried with the verbatim dvd-r and got no where. Trust me go with the ritek g04.

13. labenset

labenset Member

Hi, I have been having alot of trouble trying to burn games. I have tried using Alchohal and Nero to copy the retail version of GTA:SA onto Memorex dvdr. What is the purpose of placeing the img file onto alc120% virtual drive? I havn't been doing it and was wondering if i should and also what options besides the lowest possible burn speed i should change. So far I havnt burned any dvd that swap magic will load and I am beging to get frustrated here. I havnt heard of this DVD decrypter, I think ill have to try it out.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2004
  14. welcome3

welcome3 Guest

Labenset, I would definetly say go with the dvd decrypter. I have alcohol,nero 6, and dvd decrypter and only really use the dvd decrypter. Now i heard a few people had problems with memorex dvdr's. I dont know I would try different media as well if it dont burn with the dvd decrypter. If you are using the new dvd decrypter make sure you pick the mds to burn. After that it should be easy riding.

15. dudeteon

dudeteon Member

I have two questions
    1) I have a download version of swapmagic. Ive been reading that it wont work, but the disk is read by ps2 and a red screen comes on that says" please insert PS or PS2 format disk" is that the correct screen for swap magic- and could there be something wrong with my backup. I burned madden 05 using DVD Dycrypter on TDK +R DVD media at slow burn and I made own slide card that does the trick but backup does nothing- does not even spin to try to read disk.

2) I do want to buy an original Swap MAgic anyway and would like to know a reliable , reasonable site to purchase (+ what version)
    Found site robotpig.com that is selling for 20 bucks I think with slide card.
    Thanks

2) I do want to

16. dragulaAC

dragulaAC Active member

I have a v4 and verbatims do not work for me. However, HP dvd+r 4x disks work perfectly everytime.

@ dudeteon
    you cannot use a burnt copy of SwapMagic, the red screen you are getting is because it will not load. I would suggest picking up SwapMagic v3.3 (newest version).