1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Guide to running ps3 games from external hard drive

Discussion in 'PS3 - Modding & Hacking' started by cowboy333, Sep 21, 2010.

1. cowboy333

cowboy333 Member

This is just a small guide on how i managed to run games on my ps3 from an external hard drive as I couldn't find all the information I wanted for this in one place.
    Firstly you need to format an external hard drive to fat32. I used Swissknife.
    Next you need to put manager.pkg onto the hard drive also make a seperate folder named GAMEZ. must be spelt with a z.
    Next you need to jailbreak your ps3.
    I used a dongle using ps groove.
    Firstly you need to check there is no game disk in the ps3 and remove all attached usb devices from the ps3.
    Remove the power cable from the ps3.
    Plug in the dongle.
    Reconnect the power supply.
    Switch on the ps3 using the power button on the ps3, then hit the eject button. Do not use the controller to switch the ps3 on for this operation.
    If all goes well the ps3 will start as normal. If you get a message saying unknown usb device you will need to remove the power and start again.
    Once the ps3 is power up you need to remove the dongle and then plug in the external hard drive.
    Now go to the game section and at the bottom you should be able to install the backup manager.
    Once done you can now backup your games to the hard drive by inserting a game disk and then opening up backup manager and using the install to hard drive option.
    Also any games you may have on your pc can be transfered to the external hard drive by going into the GAMEZ folder and making a new folder in here for the game you want to transfer, then copy the PS3_GAME, PS3_BACKUP and PS3_DISC.SFB files to that folder.
    You will need an original game disk in the drive to run games from your external hard drive. Any will do.
    Hopefully if you have followed this everthing should be hunky dorey
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2010
  2. AfterDawn

AfterDawn Advertisement

3. Mr_Pink

Mr_Pink Regular member

Holy crap, thanks for this! I've been looking for a guide/tutorial/walkthrough for this very subject. I'm hoping my usb dongle arrives this week. I will mostly be running the games from an external hdd.

Thanks!
  4. smileyjim

smileyjim Regular member

thanks very much cowboy, im hoping my dongle comes this week too!
  5. tonyarmol

tonyarmol Member

I seem to of had one problem maybe you can help. I backed up my need for speed prostreet and darksiders and when i try to play either one with either disc inserted being from the internal hdd or my external one it just loads what disc i have in.
  6. cowboy333

cowboy333 Member

have you got backup manager installed? If not download a backup manager and move the pkg file to either your external hard drive or a usb stick. Plug it into your jailbroken ps3, then under the game heading yon should be able to install the backup manager.
    If all this has been done then you need to go to backup manager and load it up. Then you should see a list of games just click on the load game button (x i think) then it should take you back to the main screen. If everything has gone well then under the game setting again go down to the disc and your game should be ready to run from here.
    You need any original game disc in the drive for this to work
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2010
  7. tonyarmol

tonyarmol Member

Yeah i used ti-84 plus silver edition calc. I go to back up manager load the game (back up of need for speed pro street from internal and external also tried with darksiders) and i pick the game it takes me back the xmb and then it just says for the disc what ever game i have in.
  8. Promethos

Promethos Member

This might be a bit of silly question but can I download a PS3 game through torrents then play it on an external hdd? I heard PS3 games on torrent sites lack certain files or something to make them playable.
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2010
  9. cowboy333

cowboy333 Member

You know you have to jailbreak everytime you start the ps3?
    I've only had this happen when the jailbreak didn't work. Just turned the ps3 off and started again.
  10. Promethos

Promethos Member

@cowboy333

Least you could do is say you don't know.
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2010
  11. cowboy333

cowboy333 Member

Yes its ok to do that. Shouldn't have a problem
  12. tonyarmol

tonyarmol Member

Yeah i even have my calculator installed with the hook so it jailbreaks automatically. haven't been able to find anything to fix it this problem on google either. was thinking of maybe finding a new back up manager
  13. Promethos

Promethos Member

Thanks this could be useful if I decide to jailbreak my PS3. Otherwise I think I'll wait to see what happens with games that require version 3.50.