1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

..:: H20 Modchip ::..

Discussion in 'PS2 - Hardware boot discussion' started by jjraymond, Jan 13, 2007.

1. jjraymond

jjraymond Member

Hey guys,

I want to get my PS2 installed with a modchip and I have been offerred an H20 chip. I want to know people's opinion on this considering I have one of the oldest PS2 models out there the (SCPH 300002).

I want to know if it wont break the playstation and if it does the job 100%. People were telling me that it ruins the laser lens or something so I am very confused - I just want my PS2 chipped but a chip that wont ruin my playstation and will last forever.

Your comments would be highly appreciated so THANK YOU IN ADVANCE GUYS!

-Jeremy

2. ps2modgod

ps2modgod Guest

The H20 is a decent budget chip, and the only other budget non-clone chip to have a dev1 mode. However you need to be leery about the age of your PS2 and the quality of its laser. The laser may be to worn to read recordable media. This however is where chips with a dev1/2 mode come in handy. You can boot an application called HDLoader (HDL) from your memory card in dev1 mode. HDL will allow you to boot games you have installed to an IDE HDD that you have connected to the Sony Network Adapter. Doing this you dont have to worry about the quality of your laser because your laser wont be being used. You can also install your games to your HDD with an application called winhiip all on your PC also avoiding the use of your PS2's laser.

However you do need some way of getting HDL on the MC in the first place and unless you have a laser that can boot a CD-R of uLaunchELF (ULE) this will be impossible. You can always have someone else with a working modded PS2 do this for you. Or maybe the person installing your chip can let you know the quality of your laser ahead of time and make a recommendation for you.

If installed correctly the chip will not harm the PS2 and the chip will last forever.

Have fun!

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 14, 2007
  3. jjraymond

jjraymond Member

Thank you VERY MUCH!

4. ps2modgod

ps2modgod Guest

No problem, I hope everything goes well for you.

5. jjraymond

jjraymond Member

Thanks mate -

Would you happen to know how much approximately a laser replacement costs? I have a V4 so it might be getting a little old - & lastly would dvd-r media would you recommend using to avoid burnouts?

Thanks again,

Jeremy

6. ps2modgod

ps2modgod Guest

New fat lasers for the PS2 are non-existent. All are refurbished units with questionable quality. Recently a third party company has started making its own PS2 fatty laser with fairly good results. Search around these forums I have spoke of it more then a few times already. They go for around $50. You can find them here

http://www.divineo.cn/cgi-bin/div-cn/ps2-l400w

Have fun!