1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Haali Media Splitter

Discussion in 'Other video questions' started by labtec99, May 4, 2012.

1. labtec99

labtec99 Member

I recently had an issue with playing mp4 files, so I installed ffdshow and they now play satisfactory, however I was told that I would also require Haali_Media_Splitter, so I downloaded and noticed that it didn't have an icon associated with it, and as I didn't know which program to use to open it I then looked elsewhere and found MatroskaSplitter-03032011, which is another Haali_Media_Splitter and is version 1.11.96.14.

I have not installed the Haali_Media_Splitter and wondered if this is actually required being that all I needed the ffdshow for was to be able to play the mp4 files on either windows media player or on Nero Showtime.

The reason for asking is that I have read bad reports from various people after they had installed this Haali_Media_Splitter, so I have come here for advice.

If there is anything I have omitted in the quest for help please let me know.

Thanks in advance.

PS,

I apologise if I have put this in the wrong thread!

Last edited: May 4, 2012
  2. JST1946

JST1946 Regular member

I also installed ffdshow but you I don't have any icon either.It will show a icon in the tray on the right side when you play a file with windows media player.I also use VLC media player which plays just about any type of file.

3. labtec99

labtec99 Member

Not sure if I explained my question fully.

The icon I am talking about is after I had installed the Haali_Media_Splitter not the ffdshow installation. So it's the Haali_Media_Splitter application that doesn't have an icon, although I have since installed MatroskaSplitter-03032011 which is version 1.11.96.14 of the Haali_Media_Splitter, and this installation does have an icon, but I haven't found the need to install this yet.

After I have downloaded a mp4 file and I click on it then it can be played in Windows Media Player and Nero Showtime. I have noticed that if I use Neroshowtime only one icon from FFDSHOW appears in the system tray, however if I use WMP then two icons appear in the tray, one for Video and the other for audio, unsure at this time why there is a difference between the 2 players.

What is the point of the Haali_Media_Splitter, is it needed? as I haven't installed it and yet the mp4 files play fine.

Oh and I had an icon after installing the ffdshow program, think you were saying on yours it didn't.

4. JST1946

JST1946 Regular member

If everything is working fine and playing to your satisfaction I wouldn't install anything else that just takes up space on your hard drive.Sometimes I install programs then find I don't like them or they are not needed so I uninstall them.If you haven't tried the VLC media player yet I would gige it a try. I think you will probably like it's features.This is the latest version.

http://www.afterdawn.com/software/audio_video/media_players/vlc.cfm