1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hackers crack PS3 firmware

Discussion in 'PS3 - Modding & Hacking' started by NexGen76, Jun 12, 2007.

1. NexGen76

NexGen76 Regular member

With the arrival of every new console comes a race for hackers to crack their way through the new toy's security, and the PS3, after just over six months, has finally been defeated.

An exploit has been found in versions 1.10 and 1.11 of the PS3 firmware which has allowed one cunning hacker to boot up copied versions of PS3 games.

The fight isn't over though - the game boots, but it doesn't actually play, so there's some way to go. And the exploit doesn't allow for the running of unofficial (homebrew) programs, which is where the real meat of modding lies.

Homebrew fans hope the PS3 scene will go the same way as PSP, which has become one of the most thriving homebrew scenes in videogame history thanks in part to easy connection with PC (USB), and its huge storage potential via Sony's universal Memory Stick Duo.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=165699

2. cashman91

cashman91 Regular member

good find

Last edited: Jun 12, 2007
  3. ooZEROoo

ooZEROoo Regular member

it kind of makes me wonder where has dark alex been as far as the ps3 he wrote many great custom firmwares for psp the coding cant be but so much different or is he just strictly psp

Last edited: Jun 13, 2007
  4. bopran

bopran Guest

Whats the betting Sony employed him to find ways to do it, then help them fix it, then try again, and so on.
    If I was head of Sony, thats what my plan would be. Fight fire with fire.

5. L-Burna

L-Burna Active member

I'm sure he probably would have liked to help out,but with negative feedback from Paradox if I was him I wouldn't even mess with it.I mean Dark Alex is just one person,and I'm sure he wouldn't mind having some help when working on a project that is real indepth as this.If you don't hear him working on it then it is probably because he lost interest.I'm not sure how to tell you all this,but the psp and ps3 are completely different.It is harder to program something on the ps3 than the psp,because there is barely any source code to work with for one.The firmware on the ps3 has a different structure than psp firmware,which means it has new encryption keys and all the firmwares for ps3 are located in multiple nand chips.The psp only uses one nand chip,so in other words there really isn't an easy approach to messing with the ps3 firmware.

6. Jlhfit

Jlhfit Regular member

I really dont think after Dark Alex, after craking PSP, would "help" Sony crack the PS3 to fix it....