1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

halo 2 slow on my new pc

Discussion in 'Windows - Games' started by scamino1, May 31, 2007.

1. scamino1

scamino1 Guest

Ok, i have halo 2 vista with windows vista ultiomate.When i play halo 2 for pc [Not XBOX!!!!!!] it is very slow. Is it because my dual core is only 2.00 ghz? I have the power saver for maximum perrformance. oh, and i have a 256 mb shared video card,could this be dragging my ram and processer power down? How can i fix this so that i can play halo 2 so that the framerate is normal{or the speed , watever]???????????????

Any help is good, so if you can help , let me know!!!!!!

2. NicHt

NicHt Regular member

You can try and Over clock your CPU because that is probably your problem. Before you do that, take the fan off your CPU's heat sink and give everything a good clean. Vacuum out your PC case if you have to. Then try to over clock, do not go too high however. The Video Card should not be a problem, given the RAM, what chip set is it? No 'Power' is being taken away from anything, if there is 'power' being taken away from anything it is needlessly doing so. I wouldn't even try to play Halo-2 on you rig, not that it's bad, but Vista can (and will) take up 35% of your CPU speed just on Idle, so Doing something like playing minesweeper can make it sky-rocket, let alone Halo-2.

So in short:
    1) Try to Over clock
    2) Set Graphics in game to extremely low
    3) Set in game screen resolution to 800x600
    4) Give ye PC a good clean before over clocking (Cleaning can never hurt anyway)
    5) Give up

Good luck
    ~Nicht

3. DMW

DMW Regular member

First thing to try would be lower all detail and resolution in-game. If it goes to a playable rate then start to turn it back up gradually.

I personally would have thought the graphics was your main problem if it is integrated.

4. scamino1

scamino1 Guest

Thanks for the help. Ill clean it out right now and ill set the graphics to low and put screen to 800x600. These are godd ideas and is what i needed to hear. Thanx

5. scamino1

scamino1 Guest

oh yeah, im not sure what a chipset is {is that the motherboard?]but the computer is a AMD 64 X2 Dual Core 3800+ 2.01 ghz Processer. And i only have 896 mb ram.

6. DMW

DMW Regular member

Ok, I'm sorta guessing here, but if you only have 896MB of RAM then I'd be confident in saying graphics is your main issue. with that amount it means you have 1GB (1024) and are sharing 128MB for graphics, which to be honest is not good for newer games (and some older ones)!

Work out which type of slot you have on your board,AGP or PCI-Express and upgrade your graphics. Your CPU is not cutting edge but is plenty adequate for games if coupled with a good card.

7. scamino1

scamino1 Guest

I have pci not agp. Which is bad for me because i have a 256 agp card in my hand right now. Do you think a 256 mb ati pci card would be good? Or should i get a 512mb?

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 3, 2007
  8. DMW

DMW Regular member

PCI or PCI-Express? If it's PCI and I hope it isn't for your sake, then I would think about a new board!! If it's PCI-Express then your good to go.

If you can afford a 512MB card then go for it, but remember, the RAM doesn't make the card, you can have a 512MB card that gets whooped by a 256MB model because it has a faster GPU.

Work out a budget and buy the best you can afford.

9. scamino1

scamino1 Guest

How can i tell the difference between pci and pci express? Is one bigger the the other? And i think im going to have to get a 256 mb because they aere cheaper and im broke so........

yeah

10. davidrose

davidrose Guest

I have almost the same pc as you. PCI- Express is so awesome, you should try 512 look at newegg.com they always have great deals there, you won’t regret the little more $$.
    I picked up a NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GS 512 and I can run all ultra high Graphics on most all newer games like company of heroes.

11. scamino1

scamino1 Guest

ok , so can someone tell me how to find out if i have pci or pci express?

12. davidrose

davidrose Guest

I misunderstood I thought you already had determined you had a pci-express. But you could take the brand model number and Google it you will be able to find out exactly what you have in your pc. “AMD 64 X2 Dual Core 3800+ 2.01 GHz Processor. And I only have 896 mb ram.” I am almost positive you do AMD 64 dual tells me it is fairly new give me your Brand info I will find it out make model and number

13. scamino1

scamino1 Guest

Its A Gateway GT5220 w/ AMD 64 X2

Dual Core 3800+ 2.01 GHz Processor

iawiaerorjioasefjioerhjiower
    Never mind, just googled it. I have pci express. Thanks for the help.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 4, 2007
  14. davidrose

davidrose Guest

Try newegg,com for a great price on great graphics cards. I get everything there and check everywhere else first they always have the best deals, so far so good.

15. scamino1

scamino1 Guest

I just tried newwegg.com. I think i am going to get a 512mb card. Im not getting for a while though. That should solve my problem. Thanks

16. davidrose

davidrose Guest

Great, 512 is the best choice a bit more but truly worth it for today's games.

17. MasterChu

MasterChu Guest

Moving to Langjökull in Iceland - so all the info I posted is moving with me!

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 11, 2007
  18. scamino1

scamino1 Guest

I have Xp, Im running on it now, I have a 400 gig hd with vista and a 500 gig with xp. The problem with that idea of yours is that halo 2 vista is called halo 2 vista for a reason. It only works on vista. Im waiting for a crack for xp to come out so it will work on xp.Until then im stuk with vista

19. NicHt

NicHt Regular member

And possible seizures or homicidal urges.

20. davidrose

davidrose Guest

I run Vista and xp also and halo2 Vista is running just fine truth is you have enough memory, and all the requirements to run it, even if you crack it for xp it still will need a graphics card capable to run it.Vista is a hog butif you have the upgrades it's fine.