1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Handheld ebook reader.

Discussion in 'General mobile discussion' started by gatherer, Mar 30, 2005.

1. gatherer

gatherer Member

Hi all.

I’m thinking of buying a handheld device primarily for reading ebooks, but I’m unsure as to what product would be best for my needs. This is the first time I have delved into the handheld market.

At present I have a large collection of ebooks and find it uncomfortable reading on a CRT screen. Also I find I have less and less time available at home to read so my commute period would be the ideal time to catch up on my reading. Obviously a handheld would be better suited to this then a laptop.

I would like something capable of displaying all the standard ebook formats (.lit, .cbr, .pdf, etc), a colour display and large storage capacity, if that’s possible. A secondary consideration would be the ability to play audio books; this would be nice but not essential. I have a budget of £300 ($560) but could stretch to more for the right device.

Do you good folks at AfterDawn have any suggestions? Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

2. mkaseatgb

mkaseatgb Regular member

Are you looking for an eBook reader with a large screen or would a PDA work? I have a Viewsonic V36 that cost me $200, not sure how much that is for you. It has a 3.5 inch screen and you can read all different types of eBooks. You just might have to download a free .pdf viewer, etc, but it included a program to read .lit eBooks. It is also good because it has an SD slot and you can get as muhc memory as you need. Color screen too. Since I bought this 1 1/2 years ago, I'm sure you could find a decent PDA for what you want it for for alot less than what you have budgeted.

3. gatherer

gatherer Member

Thanks mkaseatgb.

Through the advise I've been given I think a PocketPC is more suited to my needs. All I need to do now is spend a day browsing the shelves of my local computer store to find a unit with the right size screen.