1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Handycam not recognized by Vista Laptop first post ever

Discussion in 'Digital camcorders' started by Wyattspop, Aug 15, 2009.

1. Wyattspop

Wyattspop Regular member

Hey Gang,
    Long time reader, first time inquirer. I chose AD because you guys are friendly to newbies too. Forgive me in advance if I posted in the wrong area or there were similar replies, none I could find were the same issue. I have a Sony Handycam HDR-HC3 Hi Def but tape style (do you still call it analog if it's hi def camcorder w/tape)? OK, I have a new HP Laptop G60-243CL. Camera not recognized, the Sony came with no disc (the drivers are already in the computers). I'm aware I need to use a firewire but still figuring out all the types of firewire connector shapes. My first question is based on my equipment, can someone help me choose the wire I need to buy? On my laptop I see an SD card reader, 3 USB ports and one port with an odd shape, my money is on that one. Lastly if it's not too much trouble, how hard is the task of using the easycap to rip vcr tapes to my PC, then burning to DVD-? Can you use the easycap usb end to go to PC. I'll do my best to learn the rules fast and I'm always polite.
    Cheers

2. dailun

dailun Active member

Sony states on their webpage that older models of their cameras are not supprted under Vista.

Sony should have a diagram of the cable in the manual. Otherwise use the connectors market IEEE 1394 on the laptop and the camera.

Ripping VCR tapes to the PC is tedious and time consuming, since the capture rate is 1x (2 hr tape = 2 hr. rip). You need an analog capture card/USB stick in your laptop in order to rip VCR tapes.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2009
  3. Wyattspop

Wyattspop Regular member

Missed that about the Sony/Vista conflict, thanks. First laptop I've ever owned, first Vista too. Now I wish I hadn't bought a laptop with Vista as I use my PC for 3 things only, my Ebay biz, music and pics/vids. My Itunes has already crashed on the Vista and I never even got it set up, think it's got to do with either the upperfilter/lowerfilter (had this issue on my Windows desktop) My brand new Roxio Easy CD/DVD crashes Itunes ability to record by wrecking the filters in the reg. What a nightmare. So I gave Roxio $40 for home dvd software I can't put on my desktop or it crashes my Itunes. Should be illegal to sell software without informing consumers it might ruin some other critical function on your PC, it is a "known issue" on the net. They should have a disclaimer on the box, feel like Roxio stole $40 from me. Is my Easycap the analog capture item I'll need for VCR tape transfer? I know it's labor intensive as you say, but I can work on my desktop each night while doing the transfers on the laptop, beats buying 100 new DVD's instead of chucking my tapes, ya know. Oh and my laptop has an HDMI but I see no firewire. Think I can do the transfer from VCR to laptop on the HDMI using my Easycap wire gizmo? If so, perhaps there's a USB to HDMI adaptor, I'm just wingin' it, but I'd love to hear an intelligent suggestion.
    Do we use first names here or just our "usernames"? I'm accustomed to introducing myself when a total stranger offers their valuable time and help out of kindness, it's just good manners.
    Thanks
    So you don't have to re-read...
    Can you tell me if the Easycap is the analog reader I'll need for VCR transfer?
    Can I do the job with only an HDMI port and/or 3 USB ports on the laptop, WAIT, call off the dogs, I found a 15 pin port also (IEEE Firewire perhaps?)
    PS, I love that you guys are so cool, every other site treats newbies like Lepers. We aren't all stupid (I worked on the Inertial Navigation Systems of the F15 and F16 Jetfighters in the USAF when I was just 18), not stupid, just inexperienced.
    Cheers

4. dailun

dailun Active member

I use handles. Some of the members who are more familiar with each other use names.

Q: Can you tell me if the Easycap is the analog reader I'll need for VCR transfer?

A-->If you have this:

http://gadizmo.com/easycap-usb-review.php

Then you have what is necessary to put VCR or analog camera movies into your PC.

Q: Can I do the job with only an HDMI port and/or 3 USB ports on the laptop, WAIT, call off the dogs, I found a 15 pin port also (IEEE Firewire perhaps?)

A-->If you have the hardware easycap (above), then all you need is a USB 2.0 port (one the laptop) for the Easycam and 3 RCA plugs for video and sound (2 if it's only mono)

I have not had much luck with the USB analog capture devices but that was a long time ago and if you have a laptop, you don't have much choice.

My opinion on a strategy is to transfer the contents of an entire tape to the PC and then do your edits. That way you can "set and go" for a couple of hours since an analog capture will take as much time as the material you are transferring.

Good luck!

----------
    Q-->PS, I love that you guys are so cool, every other site treats newbies like Lepers. We aren't all stupid (I worked on the Inertial Navigation Systems of the F15 and F16 Jetfighters in the USAF when I was just 18), not stupid, just inexperienced.
    Cheers

A-->You're welcome. I have had my time on shipboard stable elements when that's what were used for navagation before SATNAV and GPS.

5. Ducky04

Ducky04 Member

@Wyattspop: well Sir, top of the morning to you as well.
    aye, have you been to VideoHelp.com or Doom9.org to check their forums? They have some excellent help as well.

well you are in a much better boat than me. $ony forgot to include a firewire capture for my HDD-based DCR-SR40. To output video, i have to copy it to the offending HDD. There is no way to live stream it from the cam to the lappy via YouTube. And of course no way to use it as a 'live' videocamera. It has to record, and the files clumsily xfer to PC.

now, with your FireWire (IEEE1394 for nerd tards like myself ^..^) you can output directly to PC. But aye, Vista is not suppported on many older cams. But hark, I have something better! Try outputting via FireWire to this bad boy. Then use the video in your fav program (tell me, which video editor do you use???) & off you go!

http://www.amazon.com/VHS-To-DVD-4-0-Deluxe/dp/B001VPGBCO/

As for myself, i'm stuck with a clumsy copy/paste function for now. Until I buy $$$ony AV cable for $30!