1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hard Disk Cleanup after a Burn using Shrink + Decrypter

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by star11078, Dec 26, 2004.

1. star11078

star11078 Member

I'm a newbie... What a great site.. I've used DVDShrink and DECRYTPER successfully to burn one
    < 4.7 GB disk and one > 4.7 GB disk. I have a small hard drive with only 12 GB of free space. After the > 4.7 GB burn, the cleanup was easy. With the > 4.7 GB burn, I'm having trouble recovering the space used. I used Shrink to compress and DECRYPTER to burn. I found the *.ISO file and deleted it, but there is still about 5+ GB out there I cannot find. I have examined the drive in great detail (searches by creation date and size) and still can't find the missing space. Running XP SP2. It appears th at the pagefile.sys is fragmented and greater in size then 1.5GB (1.5 times the size of my RAM). Working my way (slowly) through the GUIDES and the NEWBIE fourum with no luck so far. Any help is appreciated

2. Discmania

Discmania Active member

3. star11078

star11078 Member

Many thanks.. I'll give it a go after my wife goes to bed.. She's had enough of me being in front of the computer today...

4. wild77

wild77 Guest

You did check the Recycle Bin.When using Decrypter and Shrink it is a good idea to create new folders,then set them as the destinations for your work.They will be much easier to find when you are done.

5. rroettger

rroettger Regular member

The link from Discmania is for Dustbuster. The site for the download is missed up somehow. Here is the same program from the authors page.
    http://www.casperize.com/dustbuster/dust_en.htm

Personally I would not use the program. It will delete files without you having a chance to review them.
    I just use Windows cleanup utility. If your system is working well, on the More Options tab you can delete all Restore points but the last one.

6. Discmania

Discmania Active member

True you don't have any control over it while it is doing it's job but I have never had a problem - cleared 3Gb of space on first use, so I think it's pretty safe. The Windows utility is not very effective.

7. star11078

star11078 Member

Many thanks to all that responded. Dust Buster from the author's site did the trick and found my missing HDD space. Contributed to his site via PayPal. Thanks again...

Old soliders never die; they become computer nerds and fade away while asking dumb questions instead of RTFM..

8. star11078

star11078 Member

I burned another > 4.7 DVD-R with Shrink and DECRYPTER with the option set to delete the *.ISO file when the burn completed. Again, there was 5 GB unaccounted for on by HDD after the burn and the *.ISO had been deleted by DECYPTER. The working directory was empty as was the RECYCLE BIN. I ran Dustbuster (downloaded from the author's web site and I made a contributation via PayPal) and the missing HDD space was recovered. I highly reccomend this procedure to anyone experiencing the same problem...

9. star11078

star11078 Member

The problem is back and this time DustBuster ISN'T finding the files.... Any ideas???

10. spawn4

spawn4 Member

star11078,
    I'm having the same problem, have you found a solution? If you have, please advice.
    Thanks

11. wild77

wild77 Guest

Some of the files may be hidden.When you run Windows search under advanced options check the [bold]search hidden files[/bold] box.In the [bold]All or part of the file name[/bold] box type Shrink then run the search.The best way to keep this from happening is to change temporary folder name in Shrink.To change the folder name first create a new folder on your hard drive.You can name it DVD MOVIES SHRINK or whatever you like.Before the backup starts in the Back up DVD box select Target Device> Select Folder For Temporary Files> C:\DVD MOVIES SHRINK.This way you can make sure the files get deleted.

12. Mgjkav

Mgjkav Member

Do a search for a file called "prefetch". When you find it delete everything in it(dont delete the file itself). 1 file you wont be able to delete but thats fine, you need it so the system wont let you delete it. That should give you about 3GB more space. Turning off your system restore will also help.

Not a Dvd reply but it is the answer you need.

Edit-> Don't forget to empty recycle bin and reboot.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2005
  13. wild77

wild77 Guest

@Mgjkav The prefetch files have nothing to do with the temporary files created by Shrink.They are used by [bold]Windows[/bold] my Prefetch folder in Windows XP is only around 5mb.

14. spawn4

spawn4 Member

I will try both. Thanks for the help.

15. star11078

star11078 Member

Hi Guys..
    Well... If I had read all the threads on the SHRINK forum perhaps I wouldn't have had this problem in the first place. The first problem was that my HDD was only an 18 GB with about 11 GB of free space. I had read only the forum for DECRYPTER and knew nothing (as I am a NEWBIE) about dual layer DVDs. DECRYPTER worked fine on single layer DVDs but when I tried my first dual layer I learned about SHRINK. As stated, I did not have the required minimums of free space and SHRINK played havoc with my HDD. It fragmented the drive beyond repair and split the pagefile into two noncontiguous segments. No amount of searching showed where the unclaimed free space was located. Finally I rebuilt my RIPPER PC and replaced the old HDD with a new 250 GB (130 CG primary partition)and SHRINK now behaves as it should (flawlessly, deleting all the temporary files it creates). I spent over 16 hours trying to correct a problem that twenty minutes of reading the correct forum never would have occurred in the first place.

16. qc95

qc95 Member

Hey Star.....I ran into this same problem. Are you running any anti-virus program (Norton, etc.)? If you are you need to empty both the regular recycle bin and also the antivirus recyle bin. For Example (When I go right-click on my recycle bin I have the choices to 1 empty recycle bin and also empty Norton Protected recyle bin.) I use Norton Antivirus and this is what my computer says. You need to empty both bins (Purge all the files)and that should clear up your hard drive space.

Let me know if this works.

Good luck

17. star11078

star11078 Member

GOOD THOUGHT. I do have Norton System Works 2004 installed and YOU KNOW.... in all my efforts to recover that space, the Norton PROTECTED Recycle Bin was the ONE place I NEVER looked...... (I must have been having another one of those Senior Moments). The rebuilt Ripper PC does not have any thing installed but XP, DECRYPTER, SHRINK and SP2(it is a stand alone PC with no network connection and anything not native is scanned and then applied over the sneaker net (a 1.5GB USB HDD). To do this, I need to pull my RIPPER PC apart and reinstall the old HDD and see if that works. Will try that tonight and post the results. Thanks.........

18. Mgjkav

Mgjkav Member

Wild77 Quote "@Mgjkav The prefetch files have nothing to do with the temporary files created by Shrink.They are used by Windows my Prefetch folder in Windows XP is only around 5mb."

If you had read my reply carfuly you would have noticed I said it wasn't a dvd answer. As to the 5mb, I know 100 different people who have freed up a few gig's by cleaning out the prefetch file.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2005
  19. star11078

star11078 Member

Guys... No need to argue... According to Microsoft: "Prefetch is a utility that loads commonly used applications to RAM when the system starts". This is first invoked by START>RUN> rundll32.exe advapi32.dll,ProcessIdleTasks (the syntax of this could be wrong as my notes for this are at home and I'm at work AND this maybe unnecessary since SP2). What this utility does is to try and cut the boot time of XP to under 30 seconds (a Microsoft standard) by copying commonly used applications from where they were originally placed to the outer edge of the HDD primary partition (XP supposedly tracks these applications and automatically moves them at shutdown)to RAM when the system starts.

20. shelteru

shelteru Member

Hey qc95, you are the greatest!

I have been looking for the anwser to this lost hard drive space after capturing video for a very long time. I once had to reformat my hard drive to reclaim this space. Little did I know it was as simple as emptying my Norton Protected Recycle Bin.

Too easy, Dud! Keep up the good work!

ShelterU