1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hard disk mysteriously full

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by asap, Oct 20, 2004.

1. asap

asap Member

I am using DVD Shrink/DVD Decrypter, writing to an HP DVD Movie Writer dc4000. I had created 4 different disks, was on #5 (noting that each was going more slowly) and #5 locked up, saying that the folder did not have sufficient room. My hard disk is nearly full! When I try to identify and delete the files they are nowhere to be seen. WTF? If this is an inappropriate place to post please direct me. Thanks fr a great site.

2. colw

colw Active member

Do you have Norton System Works on your computer? If so, your files will be protected and not delete normally. You will need to empty your protected files to free disk space.

3. Whisperer

Whisperer Regular member

asap,
    What size is your hard drive? Check if your temp folder is full. Rebooting between jobs usually deletes most of what is in temp but you might want to look in the folder to make sure it is empty after rebooting.

For example, if you backup 5 movies without rebooting, and the software you are using does not delete the temp file after each backup, you have between 23 to 30 gigs of data sitting in your temp folder.

Also, what colw says is right: Whether you decide to reboot, or manually delete or trust your software to delete your temp files, be sure to also delete the Norton or Windows Recycle trash can or you really haven't free'd up any space on the drive ie the data is still in the trash can.

Best regards,
    Whisperer
    RT #13

Last edited: Oct 21, 2004
  4. asap

asap Member

Thanks for the replies so far. I don't have Norton System Works (I think!) but will keep in mind the protected files possibility. My HD is 60 gig. I had tried to restore to an earlier date but this failed several times with successively earlier restore points. On earlier burns I had deleted each file from the HD before doing the next, but just got on a roll and didn't think it mattered if I did several and then deleted the several files. Is it good practice to delete after each burn? At any rate, I have taken the hard road and re-formatted but will be interested in further comments as I have no clue as to the original problem and would like to deal with it without a reformat should it occur in the future.

5. Kingd

Kingd Guest

Are you deleting your rips also? Traditionally, you rip the DVD to your hard drive first which can be 5-9 gigs, then you create the image to burn to dvd which adds another 4-5 gigs. If you didn't delete the ripped vobs or ripped image, then for 5 movies your looking at 50-60 gigs which then makes sense why you ran out of room. You should always delete all ripped files and iso's created after each backup and make sure you empty your recycle bin to purge it completely.

6. asap

asap Member

The process I use is to create files on my HD from my DVD-rom in my laptop with DVD Shrink, then burn from there to the external burner with DVD Decrypt. I did delete the files, and each time got a message to the effect that "the file about to be deleted was too large for the recycle bin, so is it OK to permanently delete this file?". I therefore assumed that it just sort of vaporized and disappeared forever. I will look specifically in the recycle bin if I find my HD space disappearing again, assuming I get my system functional again. Is there somewhere else these files might go?

7. Kingd

Kingd Guest

asap: No, you probably deleted the files completely, but remember, this is a 2 stage process. When you rip the dvd to your hard drive, that creates the original vob files, then when your ready to burn to dvd, thats another set of vobs (or iso) that must be burned to dvd. If you forget to delete both sets of files, then thats alot of space your forgetting to delete. I advise you rip and burn 1 dvd at a time, then delete all output, and i mean all output. Make sure you are familiar with where the dvd is first being ripped to, and then where the output files are being created.

8. jedster

jedster Guest

another possibillity is that your encoder is set to full proccessing mode and not direct stream copy, if the encoder is set to full proccessing mode the files that are produced are huge, therefore filling your hard drive in no time at all,
    i would check this as i learnt the hard way.
    good luck.

9. Ward0

Ward0 Member

I ran into this same problem about a year ago. Never did resolve it, but did narrow it down to Bit Torrent downloads that I had stopped or cancelled. Even after deleting the file/folder that it created the HDD space was never released. I tried many different thing with no success to regain the space including all the sound advice given in the other post here.

At the time I was using Experimental. I have since changed to Tornado, and no longer have the problem. But until I determined that it was no longer happening I created a work around. I created a partition using Partion Magic, that was used only for D/L's in progress. This way I could Format at any time and not loss any other data.

Until you can correct the problem you might want to do the same thing for your Temp HDD location for DVD Shink.

10. asap

asap Member

Ward0, great suggestion. I am not very computer capable but am aware of partitions. I didn't realize I could format just the partition. Is Partition Magic a commercial program?

11. aut0psy

aut0psy Regular member

I had this SAME issue and resolved it after a few days of being stumped.

When you delete the LARGE DVD images and they are too large for the recycle bin, they are erased but dropped into the "Recycler" folder, you need to go inside this folder and manually delete all the files in there to regain the space again.

I was unable to get to the "Recycler" folders from Explorer and had to use Nero, I basically started a new compilation as if I was to "ADD" files to it and used that little explorer window to navigate to the "Recycler" folder and delete the unwanted files which in turn regained ALL of my lost space back.

I was a happy camper! :)

12. Ward0

Ward0 Member

asap - yes partion magic is a commercial product and can be found on a varity of site for free if you know where to look.