1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hard drive clickin on boot up

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by dp84, Apr 6, 2005.

1. dp84

dp84 Member

Ok, I'm one those guys that leaves their comp on for weeks at a time. The comp works totally fine when I have it on. So every 1 - 2 weeks or so, I shut down the comp and leave it off over night. When I try to boot up the next day, one of my harddrives (doesn't contain windows) starts making a clicking noise when it is trying to be detected by the mobo. Sometimes the drive gets detected sometimes it doesn't, however with the clicking, the boot up process is slow. So I have to turn on and off the comp a couple of times until the hard drive doesn't have the clicking sound and the comp boots up and works totally fine. Can anyone tell me what might be wrong? I was thinking the hard drive might be dying but I just bought it last year, and it only clicks on boot up, never when the comp is finished booting and running. Thanks!

2. baabaa

baabaa Active member

Well it does sound like the internal drive arm is locking in a certain position, and during bootup the intitial drive detection does not work.
    Basically the information that has been sent to the drive, is not being executed.

The drive may not be correctly partitioned and formatted.

Some things to have a check on:
    Check configuration of hard drive - master or slave, not the same as any other device on the same IDE - would cause a conflict
    Check IDE cable is connected correctly - no bent pins
    Check IDE cable is in tact, replace it if unsure
    Refresh the CMOS, set drive channel to auto detect.
    Make sure the IDE channel is enabled in the CMOS, and running in DMA.
    When you are in windows, uninstall the drive, or the IDE controller and reboot.

3. jaydeeX3

jaydeeX3 Guest

what kinda hard drive is it????

4. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

hi

the only time i had clicking with a maxtor 80gig sata it died very shirlty after! i RMA it to maxtor and got new one! only a month old!

good job i had mirror raid, i lost nothing!