1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hard Drive compat. question

Discussion in 'PS2 - DVD backup discussion' started by rogiidx, Oct 17, 2004.

1. rogiidx

rogiidx Member

I was wondering if a Maxtor 200 GB HD would work with the ps2, since I only see 120 GB HDs being sold.

2. darc-syde

darc-syde Member

I doubt you could use that big of a HD unless there is a patch. Right now that I know of 120Gig HD are the biggest that can be used, that's why that is the largest you've been seeing.

3. kmichele

kmichele Member

Hi everyone,

Is it a regular computer hard drive that you put into the PS2s? I'm new to this & didn't realize that I could add a hard drive. Is there something special I need to do to add one? What does the hard drive help with? Sorry if the questions are dumb - I'm new & I've been searching archives for hours and I'm just completely overwhelmed! lol Sorry. I appreciate your help though! :)

KMC

4. darc-syde

darc-syde Member

You can use the Official Sony 40gig HDD or a PC HD as long as you format it for the PS2. The HD can be used to store your games using HDLoader or HD Advance and then select the game you wanna play instead of changing game discs all the time.

5. kmichele

kmichele Member

I appreciate your answer. I know to you guys who know these things it must've been a really ridiculous one! Sorry! lol How would I go about formatting my HD for my PS2? Also, what is HDLoader & HDAdvance? Is it something I would have to have loaded onto the HD going in the PS2? So - would it take the place of the memory cards ... or can I actually store an entire game on it? Again, i apologize but I'm a bit fuzzy on details. Thanks for your patience........

KMC :)

6. darc-syde

darc-syde Member

Ok, if you buy the Sony 40gig HDD for the PS2 and buy HD Advance (a HD booting disc for the PS2) you install the HDD in your PS2, you must also have to have the Broadband adapter for the PS2 as it connects the HDD to the PS2. Now you put the HD Advance disc in your PS2 turn on the PS2 and a menu will appear. It will let you install your PS2 games on the HDD, which speeds up loading times and lets you keep your games on the HDD instead of swapping game discs everytime you wanna play a different game. You will still need your memory cards to store game saves. And you will not be able to play any games that are on your HDD online, just so you know.

7. darc-syde

darc-syde Member

Oh yeah, you can use a PC HD as long as it lines up with the broadband connector and it will fit in the slot in the back of the PS2. You just have to the HD Advance disc and format the drive.

8. kmichele

kmichele Member

Wow, thanks so much for such detailed info.! I appreciate that very much b/c I'm so new to this that it all usually confuses me. I'm learning though.......
    :)
    KMC