1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HARD DRIVE DMA/PIO ISSUES

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Eromezis, Nov 20, 2004.

1. Jntspamr

Jntspamr Member

2. Jntspamr

Jntspamr Member

3. Eromezis

Eromezis Member

Well, I installed a IDE controller PCI card from Silicon Image and the issue is resolved. Now my new hard drive can transfer data twice as fast as my other one. Pretty cheap to fix too I might say...just twenty bucks. And I thought I might have to get a new motherboard...pshaw!

4. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

at least you have it working now

5. baabaa

baabaa Active member

PCI IDE controller cards, are worth their weight in gold sometimes...................

Glad you found a resolve........................

6. Jntspamr

Jntspamr Member

Good news for you... This is the response so far from Seagate:

"If both drives are not being recognized or if you are experiencing slow performance on the same ATA cable, then move our drive to the Secondary Master position as a stand-alone master. This will help determine if the problem follows our drive if there was a timing compatiblity issue between both hard drives on the primary controller cable together.
    *NOTE: temporarily you will be required to remove your current Secondary ATA devices (such as cdroms, etc).

Boot into your CMOS setup and verify that our drive is recognized as a Secondary Master device. If so, reboot into your operating system and check to see if the drive is recognized and if performance mode has changed. If this reconfiguration works, then you will need to install your "removed" devices as slaves on each cable."

However - it's not really recommended that slow devices sit on the same cable as fast devices... or so I thought... And physically the cables just won't stretch. Perhaps a PCI IDE controller is the solution then...

Last edited: Dec 6, 2004
  7. Ralph777

Ralph777 Member

firstly sorry to bump an old thread
    i had a similar problem to this and i came across this thread searching google for answers.
    i only registered to tell you how i sorted my problem.

i have an asus a7a266-e mobo which uses the ALiMaGik 1 chipset, which i think is the same chipset as the one on the mobo Eromezis has
    i had the same problem, my new slave HDD(seagate 200gb) would only go into PIO mode.

well a friend found this site for me http://wwwcsif.cs.ucdavis.edu/~leeey/a7a266/
    i downloaded the ALi UltraIDE driver, version 4.0.0.8 from this link http://wwwcsif.cs.ucdavis.edu/~leeey/a7a266/IDE4008.exe and followed the instructions in the reamme file http://wwwcsif.cs.ucdavis.edu/~leeey/a7a266/README.TXT
    as it says on that site...
    the same was for me.

a utility comes with the ALi UltraIDE driver so you can change the modes of your drives.
    when using it it says my slave is now in udma100/133 mode.
    all seems fine for me now, so i hope this helps those with the same problem.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2004
  8. JWH123

JWH123 Member

My Plextor 708A was fine for months when for no apparent reason it suddenly became extremely slow at both ripping and burning. Of course, I ultimately found it had switched and got stuck in PIO mode (again, I have no idea why). Despite changing the transfer mode back to "DMA if available" through Device Manager, it remained in PIO mode.

For me, I right-clicked to uninstall "Via Bus Master IDE Controller" and rebooted. All the hardware (the drives and controllers) reinstalled, and Windows XP required me to reboot again. This worked for me. The Plextor is on my Secondary Slave Channel, and it returned to Ultra DMA Mode 2. Thank, Goodness!