1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hard Drive In BLUE Writing???

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by mad89, Oct 17, 2004.

1. mad89

mad89 Member

i have a P4 2.6ghz computer with a 160gig hard drive, partitioned into 2x 80gigs... (running XP Home)

i recent added in another 80gig hard drive in and it comes up in "my computer" in BLUE coloured writing?

can anyone tell me why that is, because everything else in there is in normal black writing???

how can i change it back, so they are all in black writing...?

any help will be apprectiated

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

what format is your drives in, fat32, NTFS or both

3. mad89

mad89 Member

ddp, it is formatted in NTFS

4. OzMick

OzMick Guest

It might have something to do with compression being turned on. Right click on the blue folder, go into properties and see if there is an Advanced button (sorry, don't have XP here atm, only have 2K). In there, there might be an option to compress the drive, and it is likely turned on. If you have room, which I imagine you do have, running 3x80g, you can probably just turn it of if it is in fact on.

Hope that helps

5. OzMick

OzMick Guest

Either that or it might be the encrypted option in there... have a poke around, I don't think you can do a humungous amount of damage, and you might learn something in the process too (or at least what not to try in the future!)

6. mad89

mad89 Member

thanks alot OzMick,

the compression thingo worked and the hard drive is back in black...

one other problem is that the contents is still in blue writing, even though i sleected to uncompress the contents aswell...

then when i click on a specific file and click properties > advanced > then untick the compression setting,

it does nothing, and still stays compressed...?

whats the go here?

any ore help would be great

7. OzMick

OzMick Guest

I'm not certain, but when you turned off compression on the folder, did it ask whether you wanted properties to be inherited or some other such junk like that? You should choose the option for yes, inherit properties, or apply to all subfolders etc.

I've never actually had anything compressed, so I'm just clutching at straws here, but maybe if you recompress the folder and then uncompress and make right decision, you might have some luck? I've gotta go home from uni now, so you're on your own for a while if that doesn't work...