1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hard drive in PS2?

Discussion in 'PS2' started by prkl, Nov 22, 2003.

1. prkl

prkl Guest

Hi!
    I have the playstation network adapter. I bought it used like 6 months ago from huuto.net(finnish ebay) and it has worked fine, although I didn't get the network configuration disc because the seller had got it with the linux kit, but didn't need it any longer. But my question isn't about it, it's about the connectors on the backside of the network adapter.

Someone has maybe asked this before, but it's hard to find good keywords for this, I tried in google and this forum search.

Yes, to the point. There are standard IDE connectors on the backside of the network adapter. Just because I was curious, I put a formatted[NTFS] Fujitsu(?) 6GB hard drive in there and hoped to get some kind of error message or anything. But the playstation 2 didn't act anyhow different from what it usually does. This wasn't a big surprise, and I was quite happy with neither my playstation 2 nor harddrive broken. Then after more research I found some info in DMS3.com's forums. http://www.dms3.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1886 . But this would need a DMS3 chip, but I am not going to install one because it's expensive and it's hard and i have a version 3 pal ps2 so it's even harder.

I'll get a Swap Magic (with slidecard) in 1-2 weeks and I was wondering if I could use it to have a homebrew program to access the harddrive(or maybe a backup of playstation 2 linux kit[or if i could find an iso of linux for playstation on the net, linux is freeware, isn't it?].) Do you think this would work? how should the harddrive be formatted(NTFS, FAT32, other?) Or is this already covered at some site I have missed?

Thank you!

2. Oner

Oner Moderator Staff Member

I think the HD has to be a Linux format. Do a search here and on Google for info on it.

3. Iceboie

Iceboie Guest

Go to PS2Ownz.com because I believed that it was covered at that forum. But if you cannot find it, just ask them.

4. Cyprien

Cyprien Active member

when using a linux kit you need 3 things

1) PS2 8MB mem card
    2) PS2 10/100 network adaptor
    3) Sony ps2 40GB hdd

after inserting the linux dvd in... it boots up and formats the mem card... and then then the hdd... then installs drivers for the network... and installs linux as a working ground... then ps2 becomes into a pc ^_^ ...

Last edited: Nov 23, 2003
  5. DeadEyed

DeadEyed Guest

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 23, 2003
  6. zamsak

zamsak Regular member

I think the HDD has to be formatted in EXT2 or EXT3 file system type