1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hard drive not being detected?

Discussion in 'PS2 - Hardware boot discussion' started by Parsaw, Jun 2, 2007.

1. Parsaw

Parsaw Member

Hi, I've got a question.

I formatted my hard drive, and hooked it up to my Playstation 2 using USB Extreme, but when I turn on the PS2, and load up USB Extreme, the PS2 does not want to detect my Hard drive.

Does anyone know how to make my Playstation 2 detect the hard drive?

2. OmriSama

OmriSama Regular member

Is it inserted correctly?

3. Parsaw

Parsaw Member

Yeah, it's inserted correctly, for the most part. the only problem I think it MIGHT be is that I'm not using the USB cable that came with the hard drive, could that be it? it's a bit longer than the socket itself, so it stick out some on the hard drive end.

4. steimy

steimy Active member

Try the one that came with the hard drive just in case. But really a USB cord is a USB cord. So any one that is the correct type should work.
    Also is the hard drive you got formated as FAT32?
    Did you check a hard drive compatibility list to make sure that model will work?

5. Parsaw

Parsaw Member

Alright, so I got it to detect my hard drive,(It wasn't formatted properly) but now when I choose the game, it just goes to a black screen and nothing happens. Do you know how to fix that? haha.

6. OmriSama

OmriSama Regular member

Were the games installed correctly? what games are you playing? How did you install it?

7. Parsaw

Parsaw Member

Yeah, the game was installed correctly, the game is guitar hero 2, and I used the USB Extreme program.

8. OmriSama

OmriSama Regular member

Oh Guitar hero is probably not comaptible. You see, USB Extreme has very very very poor game compatibillity, only 5% of PS2 games work with it. If you have a fat PS2 or a V12 or V13 PS2 you can have an HDD installed.

9. Parsaw

Parsaw Member

It said it was compatible on the list of compatible games. :S

10. OmriSama

OmriSama Regular member

Well... don't use usb extreme anyway. It's crappy. You're better off burning your own games.

11. steimy

steimy Active member

If it was on the compatibility list then it "should" work. But the game compatibility for USB hard drives is not great. I would say more like 70-75% of them will work. Where as internal is more around 90%. Does USB extreme have different modes in which you can load games? I know some mod chips with an HD Loader for internal drives have them. They are like mode 1, mede 2 and so on. And some games needed to be in a different mode then the default in order to load.
    I did not see one in the guide:
    http://www.hdadvance.com/usb_extreme_how-to-use.htm
    And Guitar Hero's II on the compatibility list for USB Xtreme says need your comment. Meaning that no users have actually stated that it is in fact working. The one's that are proven to be supported say "supported" in that space. Plus since that list combines both USB Xtreme and HD Advance it is really hard to tell.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2007
  12. OmriSama

OmriSama Regular member

I thought USB drives was 5% compatibillity o_O

13. Parsaw

Parsaw Member

I guess it won't work with Guitar Hero 2 then?

Would I be better off with Boot discs? Because it's my sister's PS2, and she doesn't want me opening the PS2. And I think you have to open the PS2 to put in the internal hard drive. haha

14. OmriSama

OmriSama Regular member

Well, it dependes on your PS2. If you have fat PS2 then it should be set for HDD, for slim PS2 v12 and v13 ONLY you need to install something special. And get swap magic or a modchip to boot backups/imports.

15. steimy

steimy Active member

Correct, with a fat PS2 there is a slot in the back behind the network adapter made for a hard drive (internal IDE) so you are not messing with anything that is not already there.

With a slimline V12 or V13 you need a whole new case called an HD Combo case. And of course the software to run the hard drive.

With a V14 or above you have no option other than USB Xtreme and and external hard drive.