1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hard drive not recognizing

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by JoE2DoPe, Jan 14, 2007.

1. JoE2DoPe

JoE2DoPe Member

I am really good at computers and never really have questions about anything. When I do have a problem I usually read forums and see how other people solved their problem, but I searched everywhere to find a thread or anything that has anything close to my problem. So I decided to join and ask this question, I have a 120 gb External Western Digital Hard drive, I backed up my entire computer when I purchased it and about 2 weeks later I tried to pull some of my music off of it and the hard drive will not even come up as a device. It will turn on and make a clicking noise (inside of my hardware) and just stay on. I cant retreive anything and I am upset. Please help me somebody!

2. skidme

skidme Guest

Looks like the hard drive's suffered a mechanical failure. Your best bet would be to put the drive in the freezer for 20 minutes, then quickly attach it to the comp and see if that gets it to work. Note that this is a temporary solution. Sorry to say that you might lose the music.

Another idea that you might try is opening up the hard drive case and directly connecting it via IDE or SATA to the computer, to get it to work.

Hope this helps.

3. JoE2DoPe

JoE2DoPe Member

Thanks for the help, however the freezer idea didn't work. As for directly connecting it. I HAVE NO IDEA HOW TO TAKE IT APART! There are no screws, so I guess it is stuck together by glue. I need to find a tech guy from my school, but he would probably mess it up and delete everything. Its all good, Anything else? Anybody?

4. steimy

steimy Active member

have you tried searching the net for hard drive recovery programs?
    One of those may be able to get your information.
    I was able to recover a whole folder after it was deleted with one of those programs.

But if that program can not find the hard drive ten i doubt it will recover the information. But surly worth a try if you know places to get software, lets just say at a highly discounted price.

5. JoE2DoPe

JoE2DoPe Member

Well, Im found disk doctor, however I'm a little confused on how I am going to pull it off the unrecognizable external hd. If you mean from my hd inside my laptop, then I dont know, Ill try it but it just seems like it won't work. Im considering shipping to a hard drive repair place, but they charge way too much. Im going to try the disk doctor and see where that gets me. Any more ideas? Anybody?
    O and thank you for your help, steimy