1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hard Drive Oops!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Drachius, Mar 11, 2005.

1. Drachius

Drachius Guest

Okay! I installed a hard drive from an older computer into my newer one. The small hitch is that I forgot to format the Hard Drive. Now, the old one works but the new one freezes when it comes to the agp driver. I can't get into the PC to remove the AGP Driver and the Boot Disk Freezes. The XP boot disk will run on the old HDD but it had Windows ME and when it runs the OS, it says that either there is no os on the hard drive *even though it will boot in safe mode every now and then* or some other error message that I can not remember. I need DIRE assistance if anyone might be able to figure that out. Thanks in advance.

2. The_OGS

The_OGS Active member

Key point here is
    Must not be much of a bootdisk ;-(
    Your description of the problems is not concise.
    Take your PC to someone who knows computer hardware!
    Huh?
    Yes you do,
    Good luck

3. Mr_Del

Mr_Del Regular member

If i translated this correctly it goes something like this. You took a HD from a system that Has XP on it. You placed this hard drive into a new computer without formatting it. Now the comuter will not boot and keeps locking up. Is that correct?

If so then try a repair install. boot off the Windows XP cd when its all booted up hit Enter then F-8. make sure the installation that is in trouble is highlighted then hit R. The repair install will begin. You will need your install Key. If that does not work then just do a real install and formatt the disk it would be your only choice.

Goodluck
    -Del

4. haimback

haimback Regular member

Iv read this post few times and still confused but here goes,
    Your running 2 drives in some computer i take it.
    Has the new drive ever worked? Have you tried to install an OS on it? - If you have and you have then put the old drive in (with Win ME) you have two OS - not good.

You also say you forgot to format old drive.....why not do it now?
    If the boot disk works at all - you will be able to format your old drive.

Im guessing the new drive is locking up because of compatability issues with the os on older drive - format it and it may solve your problems.....then again....

good luck