1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hard drive problem

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by yangxu, May 15, 2007.

1. yangxu

yangxu Member

I recently bought a WD 250G SATA2 harddrive to use it mainly a secondary to back-up data from my primary Seagate 320G. However, after installing it, I noticed that the WD drive always seems to be doing something on its own, it spins for an extended period of time before quieting down even though nothing's on the drive yet.

I'm not sure what's making it doing this periodically, I'm suspecting that maybe Vista makes it do regular maintainence all the time, but this doesn't happen to the Seagate one. If anyone knows anything, please give me your comments and suggestions, thanks a lot!

2. borhan9

borhan9 Active member

Im thinking did you set it up correctly? as in is it as a slave drive have you formated it so that it can be used in Vista etc... Can you still use the drive normally?? what kinda errors do you get or does it do anything abnormal on screen??

3. yangxu

yangxu Member

I don't think there's a master/slave config for SATA drives, I did format it and received no errors coming from Vista. The drive works, no problems transferring data whatsoever, but it spins by itself like it's running a scan or something from time to time which makes me wonder what causes this.

4. borhan9

borhan9 Active member

Well if it does not cause any errors i would not worry about it. It may just being doing that to keep it self active somehow. Some sorta self maintenance.