1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HARD DRIVE PROBLEMS

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by nicknrh, Sep 1, 2004.

1. haymarket

haymarket Regular member

I know I am getting ahead of myself ! I accept that the Bios may need to be upgraded to support a large Hard Drive and it is a great place to start - but based on the comments made by [bold]nicknrh[/bold] The problem happened with the old drive as well. It is certainly possible the old drive failed or the boot sector isn't recognised and yes although unrelated, it would not recognise the larger hard drive if the Bios isn't capable, it does strike me as that the original problem may still need to be addressed.

Lets hope the Bios Upgrade works and or the repair guy can sort the problem.

2. nicknrh

nicknrh Guest

It seems like The_OGS was right.The repair guy called today;problem was that 1.)original h/d failed so was no longer "seen" on boot-up.
    2.)Bios needed updating in order to recognise new (modern + much larger) h/d. Which is basically what your premise was.Thought you would like to know.Also,what Haymarket says is quite true;it is just a coincidence ( do they exist? )that these 2 events sort of merged into one;if you know what I mean.Cheers!

3. The_OGS

The_OGS Active member

Yes - there was no explanation for why your old HD stopped working... but now, we have one :)
    I would have made a 2GB FAT16 partition on the new HD, SYS'd with DOS (Win98), leaving 78GB unclaimed (unpartitioned/unformatted).
    Then a Windows 2000/XP install would claim the space and format it NTFS.
    Nicknrh would then be able to dual-boot Linux or whatever, and he would be able to access his boot files (like boot.ini) on the little system partition in the event his NTFS OS will not start.
    Great to hear your rig is back up!

4. nicknrh

nicknrh Guest

Here I am again-with a whole new set of problems.
    The repair shop managed to format my new WD 80 gig h/d & installed Win 98.I want to add extra partitions;not possible with Partition Magic or WD Lifeguard. Should I try Fdisk? Also tried updating NVIDIA drivers for a game-related problem;this did not work & I have a feeling that this is all connected.Anyone got any ideas?

5. The_OGS

The_OGS Active member

That what is connected?
    That you have only a C: partition?
    If you have only one (primary) partition on a HD and it is active, it has both the boot files and the system files, and cannot be Partition-Magic'd at all.
    How did they format an 80GB Fat32 partition?
    I thought you would need to do 40GB + 40GB (Fat32)
    I would have done 2GB Fat16 (system partition with boot files) and 78GB NTFS D:
    Oh, well...
    Now if you want new nVidia video drivers, that is a separate matter. Go for it!
    Make sure you have VIA 4in1 (v4.35 I think they recommend for Win98) and DirectX 9 installed, first.
    What video board do you run?
    BTW I would have changed that mobo battery, too (the one we were worried about).
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG]

ABIT AN7 nForce2 Ultra 400
    XP2500+ Barton @ 3200+
    2 x 512MB PC3200[/small]

Last edited: Sep 26, 2004
  6. Hugh_P

Hugh_P Member

I noticed this thread because I've experienced almost exactly the same scenario as you Nick. Through 'mugging up' on the web I realised there was some kind of HDD size limit stopping me installing a new 80GB Samsung drive. I too began to think the thing may be faulty fresh out of the box. I have upgraded the BIOS - or at least think I have - to no avail. I'm now suspect my attemt at the upgrade was not actually successful, as the result of plugging in the new HDD is the same. The BIOS doesn't seem to recognise it as 80GB or offer a greater choice than before. I'm not even sure what Cyl/Head/Sector combination to set manually, because Samsung haven't printed it on the case. I don't actually see how that can matter when the thing hasn't even been formatted so far. So hoe do I get to format it?
    Any ideas form any of you will be really appreciated.
    Hugh Price

7. The_OGS

The_OGS Active member

Hello Hugh,
    What is the make & model of your motherboard?
    Or as much info as possible (if you are not sure).
    Any PC manufactured in this century should be able to auto-detect an IDE harddisk.
    First the HD must be setup in BIOS.
    Then it is partitioned.
    Then, it can be formatted.
    So, tell us about your PC and I will attempt to confirm its capabilities, and doublecheck your BIOS situation for you :)
    Don't worry, we'll get your 80GB working!
    Regards

8. wesolwow

wesolwow Member

Hello, all! I found your discussion while trying to research a similar problem I'm experiencing. I purchased a bare-bones kit with a via PM800 motherboard, a Maxtor HD, the recommended brand of RAM and a Pentium 4 processor. Although I was successfully able to get the computer running and loaded with XP, the barebones kit had a problem - it shut itself off from time to time, and the issue was neither the RAM or HD as far as various tech support folks or I could tell. Figuring the issue was the motherboard, I had a new kit sent to me. I pulled out the hardware from the original kit and installed it into the new kit (which had the same specs, since it was the same product). That's when the real troubles began. Now, neither kit recognizes my HD - not even the original kit that was functional (despite its narcolepsy)! Any advice on what to do? It would be fully appreciated!

9. Hugh_P

Hugh_P Member

Thanks, OGS, you're very reassuring. I set to last eve to try again to sort things out. In fact I succeeded, by my standards, quite well and have a computer with a new 32GB(ahem) HD, partitioned and formatted and with my new OS loaded. So I'm practically willing to leave it at that, but the thought of nearly 50GB of empty, lonely space on that HD hurts just a little.
    The MB is a QDI going by the designation B1S2000 - it's not in front of me so I haven't a reference to it's exact model number handy. It's P6144BX from memory. The disk is a Samsung 'SP...' as mentioned. I have managed to load XP/Pro through partitioning the HD with fdisk via the DOS prompt, then setting the BIOS to 'boot from CD' and letting XP setup do the rest. Without a partition setup just hung. When I did partition it, XP didn't like the partition I created and insisted on me deleting it and doing it again at the start of setup. The only way to get BIOS to have anything to do with the hard drive, however, was to 'jump' the HD in the slot marked 'limit drive to 32GB'. Without that, no detection. I cannot say for sure that my BIOS upgrade has had any effect, although the QDI website where I found it mentioned it overcame an HDD size limit, might it have been referring to another limit? (8GB for instance- My previous drive was around that size?) Could it be worth looking out for other BIOS upgrades from other sources?
    Yours and very many thanks for your greatly appreciated time.
    A much happier if still perplexed,
    Hugh Price

10. The_OGS

The_OGS Active member

Hugh - Is this your motherboard?
    http://www.qdigrp.com/qdisite/eng/products/bx1s2000.htm
    It appears to support DMA mode2, which means it has never heard of 80-pin HD connector...
    This is a good candidate for the problems you describe.
    There IS no other source for BIOS update.
    What is the version of your BIOS now?
    What version update do you (think you) have?
    What version was it before you changed HD?
    The most recent BIOS seems to be version 1.3 dated Jan.11/2000.
    A previous BIOS version 1.1 (Dec.9/99) added support for 'large harddisk'.
    So what's the problem here? 80GB is not that big a drive; 32GB is ridiculous :)
    Download the appropriate Award BIOS flash tool
    http://www.qdigrp.com/qdisite/driver/AWDFLASH.EXE
    and the version 1.3 BIOS package
    http://www.qdigrp.com/qdisite/driver/b1s2k_v13slrc.ZIP
    and flash that sucker, using a DOS bootdisk with no config.sys or autoexec.bat (this is what is known as 'real' mode).
    The good news is, you MIGHT be able to both keep your XP install and gain access to the lost GBs.
    XP could simply claim the new space from Disk Management, and give it a new volume 'D:'
    But you may have a minor problem: your optical drive(s) will all need to be bounced down a letter.
    No big deal, but a program installed from CD on D: will find the CD is now E: or whatever...
    But you can deal with that if & when it happens.
    Check all this out, and get back to us!
    L8R

11. The_OGS

The_OGS Active member

@ Hugh
    Apparently they have a Beta BIOS 1.4
    Let's see if version 1.3 solves your problem, first.

@ wesolwow
    You need the make and model of your motherboard.
    I believe VIA PM800 is the model of chipset used...