1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

hard drive problems

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by bpanther, Apr 7, 2007.

1. bpanther

bpanther Regular member

i have a hard drive it's a 80gig and it needed to be reformatted-gos fine until windows install and then DLL errors appear and cant reformat --so i decided to remove the hard drive and put it into my other pc and well it reformats well and installs windows XP 2005 great it works good--i put the drive back into the pc it belongs to and recognizes but only runs in safe mode when i try to run it normal it blue screen and says it will shut down how do i fix this problem --i even reformated while it was back into the oringal pc it came from even tho it worked fine from the other pc i reformated it in-- well it back in the original pc and reformatted once again and same thing from the beginning (reformats but cant install windows XP home 2005) please help me ASAP its driving me insane!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

if both computer motherboards are different than what you are doing will keep happening. install the windows on that hd in the computer is is supposed to be in not in another than switched back as windows sees to much hardware change & barfs. that is why 1 windows to 1 computer.

3. bpanther

bpanther Regular member

i cant reformat the hard drive even tho it belongs to the pc it will reformat but windows wont install!!! (blue screen)--thats why i said it went fine in the other pc and put it back to the original pc and only runs in safe mode!!! why cant i reformat and install windows on the drive when it belongs to that pc??

4. ddp

could be bad ram, bad cards or bad motherboard. remove all cards except videocard from motherboard to see what happens during install of windows. try 1 stick of ram if have more than 1 stick in use. try the ram from other pc if fits if still having problem. disable all connectors on motherboard in the bios except ide controllers, mouse & keyboard connectors. is videocard onboard or in a slot? try another videocard. try another psu. check the can shaped objects on the motherboard that are capacitors that they are flat topped & not domed.

5. bpanther

bpanther Regular member

i have 512mb ram is new and 256mb is old i took out the video card witch is new and sound card old already i tried to reformat with them in and out aswell --the motherboard capacitors and flat topped that im aware of only thing plugged in is power supply and cd dvd roms and the 2 ram sticks with keyboard and mouse other then the hard drive other ram does not fit for the pc im reformating --video is onboard since i removed the pci express new video card why does it reformat in the other pc and not the one it go's in ??--um if its good from the other pc why cant i get it out of safe mode for the pc it go's in??--do u think i should take out the new 512mb ram and stay with the old 256 while reformating??--oh yeah the motherboard and cpu is brand new too

6. ddp

try the old stick of 256meg. how many rom drives do you have in system?

7. bpanther

bpanther Regular member

once i took out the new 512mb ram every thing was fine it all worked out good i think the new one was done for good thing for life time warrenty ram well i have 2 rom dirves one is a dvd player and cd burner and the other is just a dvd burner ---so i guess i cant run 512mb ram stick with a 256mb ram cuz its not compatible i was told --told they have to be the same equivalent size to run proper!!

8. ddp

ran into that today on a new customer's pc. bad 1gig stick of ddr2 ram. only when installing xp did i have problems but once replaced, xp installed with no problems except for a bad videocard when installing it's driver.

9. bpanther

bpanther Regular member

alrighty but is it ok to have 2 rams ddr2 totaly different in MB size?? like the 512 and a 256 or should they be the same equivlant?? what kinda outcome probs would i have or will i have probs???

10. Blackjax

Blackjax Regular member

It's usually recommended to run 2 of the same size, speed and preferablly same mfg. Changing these up in a newer computers will create havoc with operating systems. Try reading this it may help you understand whats going on a little better. http://computer.howstuffworks.com/computer-memory1.htm I'm not be smart just trying to help you out.

11. ddp

can have both as different sizes of capacity. as long as the ram is good & posts ok than should have no problem.

12. bpanther

bpanther Regular member

alright ty all my problems are fixed and no more pc failer --have u ever heard of have more then one video card in your pc like maybe up to 5 video cards in one pc--why is this????

13. bagofcrap

bagofcrap Member

you cant have 5 video cards in 1 pc lol.

you can have 2 with Nvidia SLI and ATI Crossfire

14. bpanther

bpanther Regular member

ok well your link u sent me with how stuff works well the computer video's on there show a guys pc with like 5 video cards lmao he said its for high end gamers lol dunno how that would work tho lol check out that site u sent me

15. Blackjax

Blackjax Regular member

well where i am at right now I can't play the video too well, can't hear any sound vid is jerky at best. But from what I did see the video cards looked like a 2 crossfire or sli. Sorry ddp you are right you can have two different sizes I have just found that you can get some funny things happening on occasion.

16. ddp

bagofcrap, can have as many video cards as there is slots on motherboard which include pci slots.

17. bpanther

bpanther Regular member

why this many video cards?? and what is it real purpose?? can u run multiple screens and drag from one to another like as if all screens were one???

18. ddp

win98 had that capability & presume newer versions of windows still have it. neph runs a dual monitor system on his pc.

19. bagofcrap

bagofcrap Member

i run a dual monitor system on my PC, but still, no matter what people say you cannot use more than 2 graphics cards on 1 PC becuase the motherboards dont have enough slots for them,

you motherboard usually has 1 and if you have a good one then you will have 2.

20. ddp

what about the pci slots?