1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hard Drive Recovery Question

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by lukeles, Apr 24, 2007.

1. lukeles

lukeles Member

So I have a family computer that had some stuff on it. It started to run slow so I decided to format and re-install windows. I do a "quick" ntfs format and start the process... before it installs (at the point where you need to enter a key) I realize that there were a bunch of important pictures I had formated!!

My question is, is there anything I can do to recover the lost picutres? I will purchase whatever program is necessary, just point me in the right direction. I only did the quick format not the full so I don't know if that would help...

Someone please help me!

2. mrcapdown

mrcapdown Regular member

3. BigDK

BigDK Regular member

I found restorer 2000 worked for me for exactly the same problem.
    I tried quite a few and most failed to get the pictures I wanted, Restorer managed to save every one.
    There is a newer version out now from what I own, so I would expect it's even better.
    http://www.restorer2000.com/

You can download it and try it, it will allow you to restore any file up to 128Kb, but will also allow you to view all pictures etc... to prove it is capable of restoring them.

4. TY4ever

TY4ever Regular member

Wow!That restorer 2000 is sure something i must get,just in case i delete completely something i should not,like so many times in the past.

Thanks for the tip BigDK.

Vincent.

5. PeaInAPod

PeaInAPod Active member

I would recommend using Hirens Boot CD. I would normally explain what it is/how you use it. But my favorite T.V. show, Boston Legal, just came on and I am off to watch it. Heres a link for Hirens Boot CD....

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/hiren.thanki/bootcd.html

Any questions just ask me Ill be back later.

6. Blackjax

Blackjax Regular member

Just fyi a quick format only creates a new file table it does not reformat or "erase" the whole drive. DO NOT write anything to the disk until you get the needed software as you run the risk of overwriting your pic files!!!

7. BigDK

BigDK Regular member

It's a valuable tool worth having thats for sure, it did what it said on the tin :)