1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hard Drive Space? Is This The Hangup??

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by plywood9, Nov 14, 2004.

1. plywood9

plywood9 Guest

yes i'm using DVDDecrypter and DVDShrink Only. Backup in Shrink? Tried to set up Auto Defrag Didn't find it anywhere in windows. i know it's listed as a abbrevation didn't see anything. thanks pete

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 17, 2004
  2. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

As I have a seperate proggy that defrags my 3 HD's running all the time, I'll have to locate someone who'll refresh my memory as to where it's hiding. IT IS THERE. 2 years ago I was using it -

Cheers,

3. plywood9

plywood9 Guest

ok pete thanks. This may be the wrong place but anyway.Iwasn't having any problems as far as
    DVDDecrypter and DVDShrink went but now i am.. i was using DVDDecrypter and it stopped the error was as followes "DVDShrink has encountered an error and cannot continue.Failed to read file "D:\" data error(cyclie redundancy check" the second error stated "Failed to read file "D:" Copy protection error the read failed beause the sector is Encrypted" i'm lost now don't know why all of sudden all this has happened all of sudden?????? thanks you guy in advance..........................PLY

4. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Ply,

Most often a CRC is do to a dirty disc OR use of cheap media. When it's on the "Read" side try cleaning the disc (yea, I know, it's clean already, BUT clean it again, well; - )

DVD Shrink seems to rip 95% + of the DVD's out there BUT when you do come across a disc that DVD Shrink can't handle, try ripping it with DVD Decrypter - first in the "File" mode and if that fails then in the ISO, Read mode. When using DVD Decrypter, Go to "settings", I/O tab and "Tick" "Ignore read errors".

Sometimes a "Magic cleaning" does it too.

cheers,

Pete

5. plywood9

plywood9 Guest

thanks pete. its fixed. tell you what happened in case other people need to know.....................

what happen is i use DVDShirnk and DVDDecypter normally, but this is what i did MY NEW DVD BURNER(HP630i) came with a bunch of "SONIC SOFWARE" such as "RECORD NOW 7.1" i tried to use it instead of DVD Decypter to see how it did it "SUCKED" anyway.It hung on to parts of the ISO files and i didn't know that so when i was using DVD Decypter it would quit halfway thought beause it couldn't find the files..........OVERALL "RECORD NOW" sucks i think the
    DVDShirnk and DVDDecypter combo is the best route...
    Thanks for your trouble"pete" that is solved............

Now the AUTOMATIC DEFRAGMENT i can't find the abbrevation for it . i know it's there somewere.............

6. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Hey Ply,

We're glad that your problem's solved.

Let's not think about saying "Goodbye" just yet -

We'd still like you to stop by and visit even when you don't have problems you need help with - "Pop" in when you can and cruise around the different forums. You never know when we might have something that can make your computer work a little easier. You might pickup some valuable tips to boot. Checkout the "Safety Valve", it's a place where we "Chew the fat" on just about every topic under the sun. As an extra added bonus, when you see another person with a problem and you feel you might know something that could help, join in. As the Ogre said to the Cyclops, " Three heads are better than two." (Lol) You'll then see how much fun we have helping others. As a current member of our little club you can welcome the new guys in -

We'll look forward to seeing you. "Me ?" You'll find me hangin' out over there by the water cooler, sittin' under the potted palm with my feet propped up, sipping on a "cold one", waiting for the next "Newbie" with a problem that I can help them with - maybe you'd like to join me . . . ?

I'll be lQQkin for you - -

Pete

7. plywood9

plywood9 Guest

OK,
    THANKS>>>>>>>>>>>>>PETE

I STILL CAN"T FIND THE DEAL TO SETUP THE AUTO DEFRAGMENT>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

8. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Lose the CAP's

I'll se what I an do, Anyway, get in the habit if defraging at least once a week until I find where it is -

Pete

9. regor

regor Regular member

Hi there plywood9 - Use scheduled tasks in XP to run defrag automatically.

start > all programs > accessories > system tools > scheduled tasks > add scheduled task

at this point it will run a wizard.

browse for c:\windows\system32\defrag

You then determine the frequency: daily, weekly, monthly, etc.

Best. R

10. plywood9

plywood9 Guest

OK THANKS in advance>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

11. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Regor,

I knew somebody had it -

It's been so long since I've used I couldn't remember where it was, thanks for the bail out :)

Pete

12. fishbulb

fishbulb Regular member

i have a question along these same lines. on my System Information it says "Total Physical Memory 512 MB" and "Available Physical Memory 135.38 MB" i've only had this computer about a month. is it normal for that much memory to be taken up already? or should i be more concerned w/ hard drive space? what's the best way to free up memory?
    thanx.

13. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Go to msconfig - startup tab and select disable all, then apply then OK, and OK to reboot -

You can always call your PC's support - you're paying for it make them work, Heh heh -

Iffin they can't help come on back and we'll bail you out -

Cheers,

Pete

14. regor

regor Regular member

um yea, I'm gonna have to disagree on this one, ScubaPete...

Hi fishbulb - I wouldn't be too concerned with the used memory. Your available memory will be consumed by active programs and services and if they are all working properly it means that you have 135MB available to load/run other program in addition to those you already have running. Now, ScubaPete did give you some indication of where to go to disable any unneccessary or unwanted programs/services that take up memory. But if you are not expert at this I would shy away unless someone more experienced gave you instruction.

If you are surfing the internet frequently I'd highly suggest downloading a spyware removal program like Ad-Aware or Spybot (both free). Spyware programs can take up memory and adversely affect system performance. Get rid of any/all spyware. I'd even suggest using both as one detect spyware that the other does not.

Here is my take... If your system is performing well. No issues loading applications, etc. I wouldn't do anything (except the spyware suggest). RAM is the most important resource however to your PC, so upgrading to 1MB (a 512MB upgrade to your existing 512MB) is going to make your PC happy. Christmas is coming up... what a wonderful stocking stuffer :) make sure you know your RAM type and speed. Do not mix, only match bus type/speeds. So if y7our PC uses PC2700 133MHZ DIMM, then that's what you buy as an upgrade.

Not sure if I answered your question. But if it ain't broke then don't worry about it.

R