1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hard drive to new computer

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by vtowner, Aug 9, 2007.

1. vtowner

vtowner Regular member

OK i bought a new computer which doesn't have an operating system installed. I was planning to move my hard drive that i have now, which has both Windows and Linux installed with a GRUB loader.

I read somewhere that to make the hard drive boot correctly with the new computer that you have to boot from the Windows install CD and perform a repair install, and that would keep all my data and software intact. Is this true or is there an easier way? Or will i just have to do a fresh install of windows and linux.

2. mikeh0303

mikeh0303 Regular member

doing a clean install is the best way, just backup all your data to a cd/dvd or external hard drive!

one thing to remember is to never leave your external harddrive on when intsalling windows, once i did this and almost formatted over all my backups, turn it off or unplug it.

3. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Fresh installs are always better. It doesn't take too long and everything has a better chance of working fine with a fresh install.

4. vtowner

vtowner Regular member

Alright i'll go with the fresh install. Thanks mates.

5. Mr_Del

Mr_Del Regular member

Also make sure you do not have a multi memory card reader hooked up or you XP drive will take F or G drive.

-Del