1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hard Drive Trouble

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by wakemxbmx, May 22, 2007.

1. wakemxbmx

wakemxbmx Guest

i have a seagate barracuda st380011a 80 gb hard ata

i got this from a friend who had best buy put a new hard drive on his computer he didnt really know why they replaced it they just did

now what i am wondering is whenever i hook this up to my pc no matter what i have the jumper set to ive sset it up as the the slave and the master my pc wont boot up is this because my pc is not compatible with this hard drive or is there something worng with the hard drive

2. AhuraM

AhuraM Member

Firstly, in CMOS is your drive being recognized "POST boot screen as well" do you have a boot device chosen in CMOS?

Or does connecting the HD totally kill the computer, if so, verify your cable connections and/or retry with a new cable.

Make sure the ribbon cable "red strip" is facing the power connection on the harddrive/motherboard pin 1.

Can you hear the drive spin?

3. wakemxbmx

wakemxbmx Guest

it totally kills the computer thanks for replying ill try that

4. wakemxbmx

wakemxbmx Guest

ok i think i figured it out
    ii got it to turn on what i did was changed the slot on the motherboard the one that was being used by the cd rom drive so i think it has something to do with the ata and it has to be in a different slot

thanks for the help

5. wakemxbmx

wakemxbmx Guest

ok i didnt figure it out
    the only way the computer will turn on is if a have only the ide cable hooked up and not the power and have set as the master nut this doesnt do me any good cz theres no power to it is this drive just garbage or is it worth working on