1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

hard drive - urgent help needed

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by wc9307, Mar 30, 2005.

1. wc9307

wc9307 Guest

My pc harddrive has messed up and i cant just restore it because i have important information on it (my college work). Is there any way of putting this hd in another pc to retrieve the files then restore.

I would be very grateful for your help thx

2. Icemonkey

Icemonkey Active member

That depends on whether or not the file system is in tact. If so, you should be ok doing this. If not, well it's off to data recovery and you'll need a bit of wallet recovery when they're through with you.

3. wc9307

wc9307 Guest

What is data recovery is that a place where they retrieve your data

4. p4_tt

p4_tt Active member

What exactly is up with it is it a virus or are system files corrupt?

5. wc9307

wc9307 Guest

When i boot my pc up it says that a windows system 32 file is corrupt. So basically i dnt mind restoring the pc back to original state but i want top get my files before doing this.

6. p4_tt

p4_tt Active member

Sorry forgot to ask do you get a blue screen or anything like that?

7. wc9307

wc9307 Guest

yes before this happened i was getting blue screens, saying kernal stack inpage error (something like that)

8. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

wc9307

If you have a friend that is willing to allow you to use his PC, then remove your HDD, set it to SLAVE which is very important so an not to have two bootable drives on one IDE cable, and then make sure his CMOS finds your drive while it boots up. Remove all your data to his or burn to a cd/dvd, then you are set to do whatever you want to your drive afterwards once you remove it from his PC.

9. wc9307

wc9307 Guest

cheers for that m8

how do I set my hd to slave before i connect it because my pc isnt working, or do i do it from the bios on his computer.

10. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

OK, just a bit of overkill here so there are no mistakes:

First, on the back of your HDD there is a little "Jumper" that needs to be placed exactly the way shown on your HDD to set it to a "SLAVE" position.

Also, his HDD should then be set to "Master" by looking at his HDD settings. Even though it might be set to a CS or cable select position, for this arrangement, make sure it is set to master. You will have two HDD’s that have bootable OS on them and we want to make sure that there are no screw ups here.

Both should be connected to an 80 wire ribbon if the PC's are fairly new, and this ribbon cable has a blue plug that is connected to the MB, a black plug that should be connected to the MASTER HDD and a grey plug that will be connected to your SLAVE HDD. Once this is done, while starting to boot, get into CMOS and make sure that both HDD's are recognized by his bios. Once recognized, you should be good to go!

Of course you also have to place the 4 pin power connectors on each of the HDD's.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2005
  11. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

you can also disconnect his cdrom drives for this process to use it's cable for your drive & not having to change any jumpers at all but still check that the bios sees your drive unless bios is set to auto detect