1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Harddrive Problem/Disappearing

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by nh5637, Mar 13, 2007.

1. nh5637

nh5637 Guest

Ok, here's the problem. I had an oh-so-lovely physical memory dump followed by the normal reboot. System comes up normal enough, except that my 200GB Maxtor 6B200P0 harddrive slave is no longer in Explorer. Oddly enough it still shows in the BIOS and in Device Manager, except that it shows up as an unpartitioned drive.

Yes, I did a full system scan by Norton and Avast this morning and have not downloaded anything since then.

Yes, I did a full system scan by Ad-Aware and Spybot at the same time.

No, I did not change any registry keys.

Yes, I have done an auto-detect in the BIOS.

Yes, I have tried a, as useless as always, System Restore.

I am thinking that the boot record or FAT file is corrupt or missing. Please help me if you can. I beg you...

2. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

You can check in Disk Management to see if it shows up as an unpartitioned drive. If it does, I think you can kiss the data on it, goodbye, unless you want to spend some big bucks to get the data.

3. rbrock

rbrock Regular member

This happens sometimes when you plug a drive in you bend the two end prongs on the drive or board when you plug the ribbon strap in I done this on my board and have done this on my hard drives if you've made changes like adding new drives and cables check to see if you bent any prongs down for some reason your PC will run but not like it should