1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardrive formatted by Dish receiver, now computer can't see it

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by hodocka, Mar 19, 2012.

1. hodocka

hodocka Member

I got new dish receiver several months ago. My wife wanted to keep her recordings from old receiver. The Dish tech said that I could use my external HD to download from the old IRD and upload to the new. He didn't tell me that it may not be possible to use the HD again on my computer. The IRD formatted the HD and all went well until I tried to use the blank HD on my computer. The computer can't see it. I'm not trying to watch the dish recordings on the computer. Once the recordings uploaded to the nre IRD, the HD is blank. I called Dish and was told that they know now way to reformat the HD to use with the computer. I told her that the tech guy should have told me this before hand. Does anyone know how to reformat this ext HD? Any help greatly appreciated!

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

does the bios see the drive & have you tried disk management in control panel under administrative tools? what windows are you using?

3. keebles

keebles Regular member

If you want to format the hard drive for pc use again, download Darik's Boot And Nuke cd. Burn it to a cdr and then pop it in your pc.Turn off you pc and make sure that you DISCONNECT your main hard drive so you don't format it by mistake, and plug in the hard drive you want to format. Then boot up your pc and set it to boot off the cd you burned. Darik's Boot And Nuke cd should pick up the hard drive and give you the option of formatting it.
    download it from here: http://www.dban.org/

4. hodocka

hodocka Member

I'm using windows 7. how do I disconnect the main hd on laptop

5. hodocka

hodocka Member

I really appreciate the responses! Using windows 7. I can see it under disk mgmt. What next?

6. ddp

what does it show there for the drive?

7. hodocka

hodocka Member

the first block says 1.00GB healthy primary partition and the second block shows 185.31GB healthy primary partition

8. ddp

delete the 2 partitions as long as it is the bad drive, make a new partition then format it.

9. hodocka

hodocka Member

Worked like a charm!!! Thanks ddp!!!!!!!

10. ddp

no problem, teach & learn.

11. hodocka

hodocka Member

I amd tryinmg to use dban to wipe an older laptop so I can sell it. I have the dban iso on a cdr but can get the laptop tp boot from the cdr? Any suggestions appreciated.

12. Hapenny

Hapenny Member

I bought a Seagate Hard Drive and connected it to my Dish DVR. It reformatted it and I thought nothing of it until now. My computer will not read the movies on there and the only way I have of accessing it (that I know of) is to hook it back up to the TV. Does anyone know of a way I can view the movies on there via computer? I do not want to loose any of the data on there. Don't know if you need to know but using Windows Vista on a PC.

13. Hapenny

Hapenny Member

I bought a Seagate Hard Drive and connected it to my Dish DVR. It reformatted it and I thought nothing of it until now. My computer will not read the movies on there and the only way I have of accessing it (that I know of) is to hook it back up to the TV. Does anyone know of a way I can view the movies on there via computer? I do not want to loose any of the data on there. Don't know if you need to know but using Windows Vista on a PC.