1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardrive Recovery

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Jr1982, Feb 24, 2008.

1. Jr1982

Jr1982 Member

This is the situation. I had a notebook that could not be fixed but I still have the internal Hitachi HD that I need to recover photos and documents from. (1.) Is there any way to connect it to another notebook and retrieve the information? (2.) If so, what exactly will I need to do so whether it be software, cables/connecters etc.?

2. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

The easiest thing to do would be to buy an external enclosure that the drive would fit in, and then transfer what data you need via USB.

3. Jr1982

Jr1982 Member

Will I need to download any drivers for it or will it automatically read the HD once connected?

4. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

If you buy the proper enclosure for the type of drive, it should read just fine. Windows has native drivers for external hard drives, I believe, it just needs to load them the first time you plug in.

5. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

moved to correct forum as not a feedback & suggestions issue. will have to use an external 2.5" drive enclosure as very few laptops can have 2 hard drives in them. i use my 40gig 2.5" drive as an external & can be used on any system including macs.

6. Jr1982

Jr1982 Member

"Thanks" to the both of you for your help. I'll give it a try and see what happens.