1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

hardrives

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by jazbebies, Jul 10, 2007.

1. 1ceCold

1ceCold Member

I suggest you just forget about it.

2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I suggest we all make up.
    SCSI is the fastest, but it's more the no-expense-spared approach to get maximum speed, such as big file servers. For home computers only S-ATA and IDE make any sense, and only S-ATA drives are recent tech in most cases. S-ATA are by far the most common Hard drive upgrades. Assuming you have SATA onboard, I'd recommend a Samsung HD501N, they're quiet, fast and obviously big. You could get a 750GB Seagate or a 1000GB Hitachi, but they get hot and you'll need a well cooled case to support them. Avoid the WD Caviar SE16 series, they're fast but they have a few QC issues.

3. PeaInAPod

PeaInAPod Active member

To add to the vote, those Western Digital drives really do suck. My story, I was given a eMachines PC as a gift (twas also my first PC) one year for Christmas. Within the year the drive (WD Caviar as I found out later) puked on me. I was able to save all the data; I then reformatted and reinstalled Windows. Afterwards I began running SpeedFan regularly and checking the drives S.M.A.R.T. status which seemed fine, but within the same year the drive died again! To sum it up, Western Digital Caviar HD's suck.

4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Actually, I've owned four WD caviar hard disks and all have been excellent. Bad drives happen occasionally, between me and my mate Nick we've had WDs, Seagates, Maxtors and Samsungs all fail. However, the SE16 series just seems particularly bad. All the others are fine.

5. PeaInAPod

PeaInAPod Active member

Yeah theres some bias in my post I guess. I'm particular to my SeaGate drives, after the Western Digital drives puked I never really trusted in that brand again.

6. jazbebies

jazbebies Guest

ive ordered both scsi and sata hard drives lol

Its better for me to experiment between both and learn about them. I know the price is a fair bit but worth it i reckon.

ta for everyones replies, i shall not bother you all again (until next time) ha

7. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

did you also order the scsi controller card that works with that drive as there is scsi-1, scsi-2 & scsi-1 hd's & they use different connectors?

8. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

From what you've said, you only seem to have had one drive?

9. 1ceCold

1ceCold Member

If you have the money just order some SAS drives.

10. jazbebies

jazbebies Guest

yes i have got the controller card from my computer shop. they had 3 cards available and i had to ask for the best didnt i and he wanted £55 its a Adaptec 29320A-R U320 he said it works with all scsi drives to date. i got two 72gb 15k scsi drives for just over £100. the sata hard drive i got was a WD RAPTOR WD1500ADFD 10k 150gb £85

i hope i wont need to upgrade for a long time

11. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

You obviously don't need a lot of storage space, that's some serious speed there, but 300GB for not far off £200, considering you can buy three 500GB drives for that.