1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware encoding, need info

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by efface, Apr 7, 2005.

1. efface

efface Member

I'm looking for something that will speed up my encoding/re-encoding times. I don't really plan on "capturing" so much but more of working with files I have downloaded. Is there anything out there that will convert various codecs to dvd mpeg or mpeg in general? Such as xvid/divx/avi to mpeg??

I'm just really tired of how long it takes to re-encode and merge files. I already have a 2.2ghz cpu and 1 gig of 3200...figure hardware encoding is the next step. Thanks for any info or suggestions in advance.

2. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

About all you can do is get a new processor like Intel LGA 775 Pentium 4EE 3.73GHz 1066MHz FSB, 2M L2 Cache Processor w/ Hyper Threading Technology
    And you will probably need a new motherboard to go with that so make sure to get one that has SATA support for your new faster SATA Hard drive. :)

Thats the only way I can think of to speed up your encoding time. I don't know of any hardware encoder?

3. efface

efface Member

Well damn

I can't be the ONLY person that would want a hardware device that supports the encoding and decoding of multiple file formats. There are audio ones already, why not video? I'm more than sure there is a market for something like this.....now if I only had billions of dollars so I could produce it myself and get rich....

4. baabaa

baabaa Active member

I think you will find 'hardware' with the TV producing companies and film industry are 'state of the art' ones, I have no references but I do believe you are looking at mucho dinero..........

5. efface

efface Member

Well basically a start would be combining a DivX and MPEG hardware encoder...which are both on the market and very affordable. I'de imagine it would not take much to merge the two technologies together.