1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware hacking with Macintosh PCs

Discussion in 'Video problems with Mac' started by jgthomas, Sep 29, 2004.

1. jgthomas

jgthomas Member

Can anyone explain why folks with Windows PCs can easily hack their optical drives, set top DVD players, etc., and why so little is said about doing this with macs?

2. mediaguru

mediaguru Regular member

Probably because on the mac side the stuff works so great to begin with we don't need to hack it!

Or, perhaps it is since there are so many more peecee users there are that many more peecee hackers...

MG

3. jgthomas

jgthomas Member

Things DO work well with my emac and the stuff I plug into it. However, after reading up on speed tests conducted with Nero and 16X DVD-R recording, it looks like those guys are enjoying ways (for example) to have the Pioneer DVR-108 burner decide for itself what is the "Best" speed to burn a disc at, by specifying a burn speed somewhat higher than that recommended by the disc manufacturer. Toast seems to take the least common denominator, the recommended burn speed, instead of letting the drive experiment with different speeds until it arrives at the actual "best".

As far as hacking ingeneral, I'm also referring to being able to hack my Samsung set top DVD player. The firmware is supposed to be upgradeable. I tried to follow the link to the only guide I could find on the subject, here and in DVDHelp.com, but it had expired.

4. Londor

Londor Guest

5. jgthomas

jgthomas Member

Wow. I just killed a whole day reading there. Thanks!