1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Mpeg2 encoding VS Software

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by twister, Sep 5, 2002.

1. twister

twister Member

Besides speed are there advantages to using a hardware encoder. I do a lot of high speed films, On-ride coaster videos etc. I need something that will keep the quality consistent while the action is moving fast.
    If hardware is the answer, does anyone have any suggestions or recommendations. Is there such a thing as Mpeg2 encoders under 1000.00

Thanks!

2. dRD

dRD I hate titles Staff Member

I seriously doubt the usefulness of MPEG-2 hardware encoder, since the facts are that by using 2-pass (or multipass) VBR encoding, you achieve better results in terms of video quality/size of the video file. Obviously if the size is not a problem, then 1-pass VBR encoding, where you can't predict the video's physical size in the end, can be done with hardware encoding. 2-pass is impossible to do with realtime, since it requires analyzing of the whole video stream in order to find the "difficult" and "easy" parts of the video and adjusting the required bandwidth for each frame based on those factors.

IMHO, CCE SP produces best quality when speaking of MPEG-2 software encoders, supports multipass VBR encoding (upto 9 passes, although over 5 passes don't achieve anything in terms of video quality), costs around $1500.

3. twister

twister Member

I figured out both problems I was having.
    In TMPEG there is a setting for detecting motion. It's default is normal (Fast rendering)
    I set it to High (slow)
    I also switched media.

http://dvd-r.safewebshop.com/Universal.htm

I have had nothing but perfect results. Not even skipping with a PS2.

Thanks!

4. ultima

ultima Member

The website you have mentioned also have professional MPEG2 encoder. They are well below $500 as to your first post you mentioned there is such things as mpeg2 encoder under $1000