1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware or Media or Nero "burning DVD's Slow"

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by Zerxez, Sep 12, 2004.

1. Zerxez

Zerxez Member

I bought a Pioneer 108 and have burned about 25 Ritek G04-R white top printable and 15 shiny silver topped disks also -R(No problems no bad burns). Then I picked up a 100 pack of Ritek G04+R Ridata Branded disks at newegg. The first one burned really weird the drive buffer in Nero fluctuated maddly between 20% and 98% and the disk took over 1/2 hour to burn. After three disks like this I gave up and decided to dump them and continue burning my other two hundred packs of white topped and shiny.
    Now the problem! Now no matter what which disk I put in if it is a G04 it burns at 2x and the hard drive buffer (the 2mb on drive one) fluctuates like crazy.
    Now I have been doing this for years, so it is clear that somehow because the +R disks were bad either Nero or the drive has decided that all disks tagged with a G04 are to be burned in the fashion that they are being burned in. So how do I get the blasted thing to forget the bad +R media and go back to burning at 4x. P.S. I already reflashed the firmware.
    HELP!

Athlon 64 3500+, MSI K8N Neo2, 1024 MB Corsair XMSXL Twinx 2-2-2-5, Dual IBM Hitachi 160GB HD's Striped, Radeon x800 Pro, Corsair 200ex water cooler, Plextor PX-116a, Pioneer 108, Lian Li Case.

2. eric545

eric545 Regular member

zerxez

First update your firmware to version 1.14, then dump the ritek's. I am using the same burner with firmware version 1.14 and Princo 4x DVD-R's white top (not printable. I first decrypter a DVD using DVD Decrypter, then burn the "main movie only" using Roxio Easy Media Creator 7's "Copy DVD" function. I buy all my Princo 4x DVD-R's (I'm still to cheap to pay for 8x), from Allmediaoutlet.com which is located in California. If you purchase 200 the cost is $72.00 and if you live outside of California you don't pay any tax. If you use Pricewatch.com to access allmediaoutlet, there is usually no shipping charge either.

3. Zerxez

Zerxez Member

I solved the problem. Windows XP automatically lowers the DMA settings when it has data through put errors. Unfortunately it won't let you just set them back you have to deinstall and then reinstall the IDE drivers for the affected bus. The cause is a bad DVD. I burned about 200 Princo disks about 2 years ago and now most of them have gone bad. Ritek from the same era are still working fine. So you may want to reconsider the Princo. I have also learned that the cheap Ritek/Ridata disks out there are pure $%#^ only the Ritek shiny topped and white topped are good.

Thanks for the reply! I didn't get any help on this at all and it took me a few days to solve it by my self.

4. karelk

karelk Guest

5. Zerxez

Zerxez Member

Hey, wow I am not the only person in the world to suffer from this problem. Great link it turned out to be a much more permenant fix than deinstalling and then reinstalling my primary IDE driver every time I got a bad disk.

You cannot believe how much effort it took me to narrow this problem down and solve it.