1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware question

Discussion in 'CD-R' started by SadJoker, Apr 3, 2003.

1. SadJoker

SadJoker Regular member

In one of my present system configurations, my pc is setup with my C & D drives on a Ultra100 tx2 Ultra ATA controller card so I could free up the IDE channels on the motherboard.. In my original thinking, I moved the HDs to the Ultra ATA controller so I could copy CDs on the fly eg : from the 56x CD drive directly to my LG 12x8x32 cdrw drive w/o the need to write tempfiles to the HD before the burn.

At anyrate, the present configuration werks, everything werks except copying CDs on the fly.. Nero/Easy CD Creator/Accoustica/Blindwrite etc all come up with buffer underrun errors as well as some other errors that I dont happen to recall at the moment. Could it be because the CD drive is reading at 56x but the burner can only write at 12x max? If so, is there anyway or any software aviable to configure my 56x drive and 12x burner to a matching speed? I dunno bout anyone else but making a stack of coasters is really frustrating and so is the need to waste tyme making tempfiles or MP3s from an original cd just to copy a cd.

2. cd-rw.org

cd-rw.org Active member

Check that your drives are operating in DMA mode and not PIO.

3. Shoey

Shoey Guest

From the information I've read, the common sollution here is to put 1 rom on the primary ide channel, the other rom on the secondary ide channel for "copy on the fly". As cd-rw.org posted, be sure dma is enabled on both primary, secondary ide channels(Win2k Pro, WinXP Pro).

Shoey

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 4, 2003
  4. SadJoker

SadJoker Regular member

See what happens when you pay someone else to do the puter build for you? I believe the drives are operating in DMA mode but I could be mistaken.. jackass that built and installed WinXP Pro for me didnt give exact detials of how the hardware is setup.. anywho.. I'll doublecheck and see what mode the drives are running in..

another suggestion I was given awhile back from another forum was to set both drives as Masters by doing as Shoey stated ; putting the cd rom on IDE channel primary and the burner on IDE channel secondary. but I dont think I can have them both as Master drives using that method? Could I put one of the drives on the Ultra ATA controller and leave the other on the mobo IDE channel and then set both to Master drive?

thanks for the advice Shoey, cd-rw.org. Still getting used to WinXP after being a loyal Mac user for the last 8 yrs.. forgive the boring questions ~laffs ~

5. Shoey

Shoey Guest

Use this configuration and you should be good to go.
    Primary IDE channel
    HD= master
    CDRW= slave
    Secondary IDE channel
    DVD\CD-Rom= master
    slave=nothing
    Right click my puter>properties>Hardware tab folder>Device Manager>Click the + beside IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers>Primary IDE channel>properties>Advanced Settings tab folder>Enable DMA if available for device 0&1.<Do the same for the Secondary IDE Channel.
    [bold] Reboot your pc, all done[/bold]

Shoey

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 4, 2003
  6. SadJoker

SadJoker Regular member

[qoute]Use this configuration and you should be good to go.
    Primary IDE channel
    HD= master
    CDRW= slave
    Secondary IDE channel
    DVD\CD-Rom= master
    slave=nothing
    Right click my puter>properties>Hardware tab folder>Device Manager>Click the + beside IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers>Primary IDE channel>properties>Advanced Settings tab folder>Enable DMA if available for device 0&1.<Do the same for the Secondary IDE Channel. [/qoute]

Finally got around to messing with the drive settings, doesnt seem to be helping.. I enabled DMA if avabile on both IDE channels.

I did doublecheck the hardware configuration - turns out both HDs are on the UltraATA card running in DMA mode.. both cd drives ; the burner and cd are on the mobo IDE channels.. Now from what Im understanding from Shoey's suggestion is that I move one HD onto the mobo IDE channel on the primary channel, move cdrw to mobo as well as slavedrive and move the 2nd HD to the UltraATA on the 2nd IDE channel along with cd drive, but with the cd drive as master on the 2nd IDE channel.

Would that configuration work? and is there a way to enable DMA in my bios?

7. Shoey

Shoey Guest

SadJoker,
    Use the configuration I previously posted m8. Every BIOS is different so refer to your users manual if you can enable DMA (Direct Memory Access) through your BIOS.

Primary IDE Channell:
    1 hd master
    Burner as slave

--------------------------------------
    Secondary IDE Channel:
    2nd hd as master
    dvd\cd-rom as slave
    ----------------------------------------
    [bold] Right click my puter>properties>Hardware tab folder>Device Manager>Click the + beside IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers>Primary IDE channel>properties>Advanced Settings tab folder>Enable DMA if available for device 0&1.<Do the same for the Secondary IDE Channel. [/bold]< Apply these settings

Shoey :)

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 23, 2003
  8. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

hi

you can put one drive MASTER on primary and one drive secondary MASTER! and in some cases remove all jumpers if only one drive on the channel!

i hadd the same setup to you and what i would do is this put your HD's on the main mobo eide channels! and put the cdroms etc on the ultra card all works fine for cd to cd burns! your card supprts 2 channels with master and slave on each channel yes?

i would do that due to your ultra card being ata100 speed and probably your HD's and mobo are ATA133 so your computer will run faster that way round as the cdroms need only access now and again! you will get better performance this way round to!

thx.......

9. Shoey

Shoey Guest

Did you actually read this thread Rotary? I've posted the IDE settings not once, but twice!

[bold] NOT recommended! [/bold]

SadJoker,
    Move the hd's to your mobo ide channels, [bold] NOT [/bold] on your Ultra ATA controller card m8. Besides, from what I've read your running 4 devices so no need for ultra ata controller card (yet). Do you know if your mobo supports dual channel ultra dma ata 133?

10. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

hi all

yes i did read the thread,

firstly to have 2 devices on the same eide channel will make the faster drive run at the slower drive speed!

i was just saying i had the same setup for a year as this guy! now i have just changed to a A7V8x raid 1 configaration now on 2 maxtors! i have sata ATA150 raid channels running on mirroring for safety if one drive fails the other will boot as it duplicates drives as you are using it.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2003
  11. SadJoker

SadJoker Regular member

Shoey, I did apply the settings you posted. In Device manager though Im seeing Pri and Sec IDE channels as well as SiS PCI IDE controller. As for my mobo , no I dont believe it does support dual channel ultra dma ata 133, which is why I had the UltraATA installed .. UltraATA card supports dual independent IDE bus master controller.

Rotary, I doublechecked with the UltraATA card's manufacturer, it is NOT suggested to put CD drives of any kind of this controller. something about the way the card handles resources causing Windows to not see the drive. As for making the 56x cd as Master and having the cdrw as Master is another issue I want to try. I applied Shoey's suggested settings.. See what happens.

12. Shoey

Shoey Guest

SadJoker,
    The hardware configuration I posted is just my personal preferance simply because I use my burner [/bold] less [/bold] than I do my dvd-rom. I'm not convinced if your mobo don't support ata\133 by purchasing an ultra ata card will allow you to run at 133. Your hd must be able to support ata\133 as well. Run SiSoft Sandra 2003 and see what your hd transfer rate is at m8.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2003
  13. SadJoker

SadJoker Regular member

Shoey, since I applied the settings you posted, my burner has been working damned near flawlessly! Only have had one coaster in the last 40 burns. Wasnt only the hardware configuration that was screwed up - my burner's firmware was messed up from a powerloss during a burn.. hadda flash the firmware to fix it.. but everything werks now.. So far anyway

14. Shoey

Shoey Guest

SadJoker,
    Search [bold] Google [/bold] for a program called memory Turbo II to help prevent buffer underruns and help stable your total system ram too.

15. SadJoker

SadJoker Regular member

Ive had MemTurbo for awhile now.. I actually had it when I was using Win98 and still use it with Win98 on my other HDD.. For XP though, MT II seems to be kinda moot.. I clear up some RAM and as soon as I close MT II, most of the ram I got back is used up again.. But for what its worth, it DOES help! Be nice if Nero would also give users the option of using more then 40% of their physical RAM.. Hmm I guess that 3rd RAM slot is looking abit lonely LOL

16. cd-rw.org

cd-rw.org Active member

Shoey,

Are you serious about Mem Turbo? Usually such softwares cause more trouble than do good, like start swapping to HD at a totally wrong time.

But if one wishes to try such software, I recommend looking at CacheMan which is freeware: http://www.outertech.com/

17. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

hi all

yes been there with RAM BOOSTER! total waste of time just adds to conjestion, also system tray

i just dont bother now...

thx.....

18. Shoey

Shoey Guest

Before I discovered memory turbo at times I would encounter buffer underruns. With Memory Turbo II installed I have yet to encounter any buffer underruns and the program also stablizes total system ram which gives users great benefits while playing pc games. Command& Conquer Generals is a memory hog and one needs a pretty good graphic card just to play that game.

Shoey

19. SadJoker

SadJoker Regular member

Shoey and cd-rw,
    To each their own right? Nobody said MemTurbo II was perfect or for that any RAM/cache management program. Let's face it, Windows is a memory hog pure and simple.. Its going take as much memory as it can from the get go. Limiting how much extra crap that starts up with windows does help free up your total avaible RAM as does forcing windows to shut down process that arent doing anything after startup. Im not too enthusatic a supporter of MemTurbo either but it werks for its purpose.. Just dont depend on it to give you back the RAM you need.

20. Ricard

Ricard Member

Could it be because the CD drive is reading at 56x but the burner can only write at 12x max?

This is not the problem. The best is to have a faster reader than a burner. Let's see the problem. It happens when you are trying to burn Audio Cd's on the fly or data Cd's too. If it only happens on Audio Cd's, perhaps the DAE of your Cdrom is not as good as it should and this causes buffer underuns. I have an old 16x CDRom which did DAE at 1x, so my old 2x burner had buffer underuns. Check it before changing configurations.