1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Harman Kardon - "PROTECT" Troubleshooting

Discussion in 'Receivers and amplifiers' started by hypechez, Dec 25, 2006.

1. hypechez

hypechez Member

HELP --- I have tried everything!

Saw all the previous threads and looking for any help short of taking the unit in!

I have a HK AVR-65.

Thanks in advance of the help!

2. JVC

JVC Active member

Putting a receiver into Protect Mode, is [bold]usually[/bold] caused by a frayed speaker wire, touching something it shouldn't.
    Double check all the speaker wires, on the back of the receiver, and on the back of each speaker. Take each speaker wire, and re-twist it, and reconnect it, at both ends.

Is the receiver in an entertainment center, in a tight, closed in area? Receivers need room to breathe. They need decent air flow. If re-doing the wires don't help, try putting a fan, where it can blow on the receiver, and see if that helps.

One more possibility.........Are you trying to drive 4 ohm speakers, with an 8 ohm receiver? This [bold]can[/bold] cause this to happen too. Less likely, than the other two things, but still possible.

The Protect Mode, means it's getting too hot. It goes into protect mode and shuts down, to keep from frying something, and causing major repairs. As I said......it's usually a wire problem. Speaker wires have several strands of wire. That's why we twist them. All it takes, is one of those little strands to touch something else......
    Good luck! Let us know what you find............

3. hypechez

hypechez Member

Wow --- Thanks for the quick response!

I have disconnected everything and it still does it so I am out of luck.

The only thing I can think of (because it worked so well for so long) is overheating while on for an extended period of time....

Let me know what you think.

4. JVC

JVC Active member

One more thing to try...........
    Somewhere in the manual, it should tell you how to reset the receiver, to factory settings. Try that. If it works, you'll need to go through the setup again, because it'll be back to the way it was when you originally took it out of the box.

If that don't work, you might need to take it in for repairs. It might be something that's cheap to fix.........
    Good luck!

5. onehanded

onehanded Regular member

Anyone got and idea on these amps cos I plugged a AVR5550 amp in and a blue flash came from inside.
    I opened it up and disconnected the card with all the tape dvd cd multi etc and the unit stayed on with the front display showing.
    What was happening was after the blue flash like something had blown inside.I could press the power button and all the display would show up then go straight back off

6. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

You need to create a new topic this thread is from 2006,this also means not posting a problem in someone else's thread or you'll end up confusing the issue