1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Harry Potter, Order of the Phoenix success ?

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by hallway, Nov 14, 2007.

1. hallway

hallway Member

My parents just returned from Northern Ireland and brought a UK-regioned copy of Harry Potter, Order of the Phoenix. I haven't opened it yet but am wondering if anyone's had success with ripping it ? I have the latest DVDFab HD Decrypter (3.2.1.0).

Is this as good as app as any ? What about AnyDVD ? I've been out of the ripping game for a number of months (6+).

2. ZoSoIV

ZoSoIV Regular member

that title has not been released here in the states yet so theres no way to tell if the programs will work are not without an update.

and yes dvdfab decrypter and anydvd are the top rippers give it a shot and let us know how you come out

3. pryme_H

pryme_H Regular member

I also want to point out that there is a new update for DVDFab HD Decrypter.

4. hallway

hallway Member

I presumed people from more than just the US frequent this site... :)

Anyway, DVDFab Decrypter worked fine. I think it's v3.2.1.0 (I had it check for updates and nothing was available).

5. pryme_H

pryme_H Regular member

Here is the link.

6. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

i'm in UK though haven't got around to buying this movie yet; i have no doubt that the latest DVDFab will work, which is now at version 4.0.1.0.

edit- i see there's already a new one out 4.0.1.2... i'm off to download it..

Last edited: Nov 15, 2007
  7. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

@Creaky

I'm not up on region stuff but will the R 2 disc play in our US DVD players even if AnyDVD makes it region free. Won't it still be a PAL DVD and US discs are NTSC and need some type of conversion. Enlighten me.

8. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

You have it right. The UK, region 2, uses the PAL format and the US, region 1, uses NTSC. Depending on the hardware, the region 2 dvd may or may not play. If it plays, the aspect ratio will probably appear wrong. I've got a player that plays both PAL and NTSC, but the PAL aspect ratio is off the monitor. It looks like the picture is too big for the screen and you're only seeing the center part of the video. A program like Nero Vision or ConvertXtoDVD will do the conversion from PAL to NTSC (and vice versa).

9. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

Thanx Pacman

I didn't know which program would do it. Nice to know NeroVision will do it, if the occasion arises.

10. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

I've used both ConvertXtoDVD and Nero Vision and both work good. I couldn't get a title I was looking for in region 1, but it had been produced in region 2 format with PAL. The trial of ConvertXtoDVD marks the video output. So there's no reason to mess with the trial unless you just want to see how the program works. I own the retail version.

11. colw

colw Active member

Did the Region 4 version today - No probs with DVD Shrink and AnyDVD running in background - movie only - rip/encode time 9min37secs, burn time 8m18sec at 8X. Compression at 72%

12. ZoSoIV

ZoSoIV Regular member

Whats the US release date for this title guys?

13. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

I think early Dec for Xmas.

14. hallway

hallway Member

Many, many DVD players can play PAL format just fine, though they don't advertise it. I had an Apex from 5 years ago that did. Now that I think about it, my current Toshiba is region-free via a remote-control 'hack' but I don't know if it will play PAL format or not. Will find out soon...

15. hallway

hallway Member

Just checked over at videohelp.com and people report that it does play PAL format. Now that I think about it, anything that's region 2 (and others ?) will be PAL format, so what's the point of a player being region-free-capable if it can't play other video formats ? That wouldn't make much sense.

16. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

The catch is that not only the player, but both the player and monitor have to be compatible with the format in use. In the case of a PAL format DVD being played on a NTSC format monitor, the video plays, but the aspect ratio is off. Since TVs are being used to view NTSC format broadcasts in region 1, they're not likely to play the PAL format correctly.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2007
  17. hallway

hallway Member

Yes, I understand that. I've watched PAL videos on my previous TV (4:3 ratio) and honestly didn't notice anything "wrong". Then again, if I've never seen it in the "right" format, I'm none the wiser ! :) My current TV is 16:9 and I'm thinking that will help.

18. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

Seems you're having a problem undestanding aspect ratio between NTSC and PAL. Picture the given area on an NTSC monitor as a projection screen on the wall. Then picture the PAL format as a projector being out of adjustment and showing the outer edges of the video off the screen. If the PAL format is 4x3 then going to 16x9 NTSC will show the same problems. You'll see the same "cut off" video, but with black to the left and right edges. Same problem with widescreen PAL on 4x3 NTSC. You still have the black at the top and bottom of the monitor and the same "cut off" video. If you still have the cross region video, run it through Nero Vision or ConvertXtoDVD and you'll see the difference.

Just because PAL plays on NTSC hardware doesn't mean it's playing correctly. For the most part you'll be able to view the video without problems. But I'm one of those people who like to see the movie as it was intended.

19. XxRUINSxX

XxRUINSxX Regular member

20. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

I know which I'll watch first as long as the kids don't get to the player ahead of me.