1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Has anyone got a sony dru 500a??? anygood?

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by scribbla, Nov 3, 2002.

1. scribbla

scribbla Member

i'm trying to get hold of a sony dru500a dvd r/w, i already have a pioneer a04 but im looking to upgrade it and looks like the sony is the one to buy compared to pioneers a05.just wanted some feed back from a owner of a dru500a as i have heard it is very very fussy with dvdR discs. Any comments .....
    Thanks scribbla

2. Cthulhu

Cthulhu Member

I heard that they had problems with some of the Memorex discs because of how they were manufactured. Not sure though, as I don't have one yet but am really interested in one myself. NEC apparently has a dual burner coming out too, but I've heard nothing about it.

3. Tec9_SD

Tec9_SD Member

I just happened by a review CNET did Oct. 24th.

I was quite impressed, It is certainly going on my list of drive's to compare before I purchase one.

Hope this helps, Tim

Heres an excerpt. (I encourage you to read the full review.)

"Sony DRU-500A
    Intro URL: http://computers.cnet.com/hardware/0-1095-404-20384294.html

Editors' rating: 8.8 out of 10 (Very good)

------------------------------------------------Review summary
    ------------------------------------------------If you're shopping for a DVD-recordable drive, put the fast, flexible DRU-500A at the top of your list.

The good: Supports all four popular DVD-recordable formats; writes DVD-R at 4X and DVD-RW at 2X; great performance; affordable; generous software bundle.

The bad: High-speed 2X DVD-RW media still hard to find; no Mac support.

By Dong Van Ngo, October 24, 2002, 11:49 AM PDT

The alphabet soup of competing DVD-recording formats is enough to make anyone's head spin. How do you know if the DVD you just burned will work with your home DVD player? And will it also run on your computer's DVD-ROM drive? With the Sony DRU-500A internal DVD burner, you no longer have to worry. This remarkable drive is the first to support all four popular formats (DVD-R, DVD+R, DVD-RW, and DVD+RW), but it also offers superb performance and packs a comprehensive software bundle, all at a very affordable price. If you need a DVD burner, look no further than the DRU-500A."

4. framerman

framerman Regular member

I have a DRU-500. Nice machine, it does all of the formats like it says. They give you a free DVD+RW disc with it. I'm a newbie and have tried with the disc to burn back Blow but it won't work on my stand alone. I tried a DVD+R to see if it was disc and same problem. I think it might be my player. It works great on my computer. A little loud but what isn't. My dad has one and his does the same thing. Very good price for the Sony compared to everything else.

5. AnXan

AnXan Member

I recently got mine and it works great. I even have one of the newest Sony DVD players (5 disc changer with Progressive Scan, fully loaded) and it plays all the formats the drive burns so I am really happy with sony both on price and performance.

6. Sgt_USMC

Sgt_USMC Member

There are no problems with the Memorex discs. That's all I use.

7. djtutt

djtutt Member

I've had a few writers and this Sony DRU500 is by far the best i've used. Primo DVD wont recognize it but why use Primo when you can use the best...Nero 55917!!!!!!(Use Verbatim dvd-r general purpose discs, they work in anything.)

8. poncho

poncho Guest

There is a compatability problem with Verbatim dvd-R. This is according to Verbatim and Sony

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 12, 2002