1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Has ne1 succeeded @PS3 Firmware upgrade via cd-rom?

Discussion in 'PS3 - Modding & Hacking' started by majaniam, Apr 27, 2007.

1. majaniam

majaniam Member

Can someone please tell me if this is possible? Am trying to help Brother in law who has PS3 but no internet - only literature on Sony sites discusses USB storage media, and so far, my attempts have failed. (I put the update in the correctly named and Cased folders, but PS3 doesn't see it). Didn't really want to buy a memory stick just for this...

Quick How-to if possible would be great - been searching the forums for an answer and can't find one.

2. ibjaredu

ibjaredu Regular member

3. majaniam

majaniam Member

Did that...PS3 doesn't see it. => still need an answer...

4. Andrew691

Andrew691 Regular member

I upgraded to 1.6 using a CD-RW, asibjaredu said just put PS3UPDAT.PUP in a folder called update then put that into a folder called PS3. Go to System Update and choose removable media.

5. majaniam

majaniam Member

I did exactly that aswell...I wonder if it might have been due to burning CD-rom as multi-session?
    We ended up transporting the PS3 to my house to use my internet...don't want to have to do that everytime an update is released.

6. zekezank

zekezank Guest

I have been having the same problem with the newest update. I used to always update with a usb flash drive, and it always worked fine. Since the last update everytime I try it says it can't find the update software. I am glad someone other than myself is having this problem.

7. majaniam

majaniam Member

You don't know how good it feels to know I'm not just going crazy here...Someone has told me that they have done it via CD though...just need to find out where the difference is.

8. Andrew691

Andrew691 Regular member

Chances are that its because your using a multisession CD. I just got a 512mb flash drive today so I dont have to worry about burnings CD's anymore.

9. zekezank

zekezank Guest

I have only been using flash drives, no CDs.
    I use a 1gb flash drive and download the update file
    into a PS3/UPDATE/ directory in all caps just like it says. I keep trying and trying different files and stuff, with no luck. I have also tried SD cards and CF cards, and get the same result.

10. Andrew691

Andrew691 Regular member

Have you used any of those devices to transfer other files like MP3's or videos? try using the format tool in System Settings. Then transfer the files to the flashdrive in that folder.

11. DBM_Bones

DBM_Bones Regular member

Get a USB thumb stick, once you have one, your wonder how you survied with out one.

They great for trasfering music movies, and backing up inportant doc's etc, also you can backup your game saves, if you PS3 ever crashes.

Get the biggest one you can afford, there very cheep now.

Either that if you or your mate have a digital camera, you can use the flash memory from one of those.

But seeing how cheep USB thumb sticks are I'd get one.

12. Andrew691

Andrew691 Regular member

^^ I would totally agree with that I managed to get my 512mb for $12NZD(something like $8USD) with a 50% of coupon, if I'd have known it was gunna be that cheap I would have got a 1GB or maybe even 2GB one.