1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Has Plextor solved the analog 2 DVD question?

Discussion in 'Video capturing from analog sources' started by GTFouts, Feb 21, 2005.

1. GTFouts

GTFouts Member

Hello. My first post and the beginning of my road down the video recording aspect, so please excuse me if it is redundant.

I have be studying some on the TV/VCR to DVD recording and came across a new device from Plextor for just this purpose. http://www.plextor.com/english/products/TV402U.htm

I am not a guru at this stuff and am just beginning, but this unit seems to solve everything, except the copyright I believe, and very reasonably priced in my opinion. I am going to upgrade my DVD/RW drive to the Plextor PX-716SA http://www.plextor.com/english/products/product_708Advdrw_drives.html to get the dual layer capability for serious movie recording. The drive, along with the converter unit looks to be a very good idea for around $350 total. (less if you go find them cheaper than the Plextor site)

I am assuming I will still need a clarifier for my old VHS tapes, is this correct? I sure hate to buy them again on DVD, waste of money I feel. Will these 3 pieces be all I need?

GTFouts

2. pfh

pfh Guest

I have the M402U which uses the same chip as the TV402U and have some nice results so far. Be sure to upgrade to the latest firmware/driver and update the crappy OEM Intervideo recording s/w thru Plextor.com
    I had some real bad "hangs" prior to that.
    As of now I've done ~20 vhs to dvd's
    Don't know for sure if a "clarifier" is needed- that's going to depend on what kind of vcr you have.
    All in all, I'm satisfied with the results I'm getting with a standard JVC VP673U vcr but looking around for some bargain JVC 9000 series or similar. I haven't run into macrovision problems yet but doesn't mean I won't. The tapes I'm currently transfering are 70's-80's
    I posted a basic guide on my technique in the user submitted guides area.