1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Have 512MB of RAM but only shows 384MB???

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Combine, Jan 5, 2008.

1. Combine

Combine Member

Hey guys...I have an HP Pavilion zv5000 Laptop

I opened it up and I found 2 256MB DDR333 PC2700 Ram Sticks....one is under the keyboard...and one is on the back of the laptop.

The laptop also has 128MB of video memory.

I took both of the Ram sticks out of the PC...and I went to BIOS....it showed me that there is 128MB of memory (thats probably the video memory)

Then I tried each stick of memory in the memory slot under the keyboard...as well as each stick in the memory slot thats under the laptop.

Each time i went into BIOS.....but it never came up....it still showed me that I have 128MB of memory....

So then I put them in Both slots...and went to BIOS then...and its showed me that I have 384MB of memory..

It doesnt make sense becuase it should show me the memory amount even though there would be one stick of memory in, in one of the mem. slots.

Does anyone know what the problem is?

PS. Both memory sticks are perfectly fine....I tried them on a different Laptop.

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

3. Combine

Combine Member

4. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

you have a total of 512megs of ram of which 128megs is assigned thru the bios for the onboard videocard. any computer whether laptop or desktop with onboard(intergrated) video shares the main ram of the computer. only videocards that are an add on to computers has it's own ram.