1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Have an MPEG2 file, putting to DVD, am loosing resolution

Discussion in 'Video capturing from analog sources' started by stewartr, Jan 30, 2005.

1. stewartr

stewartr Guest

I am very new to this DVD conversion stuff. I have a VHS tape made on my local machine. I have captured it with a USB capture card to an MPEG2 file. Yes, I know this is not the best, but it is what I have. In fact the video looks
    (not as good as the tape, but not bad), at least I would be satisfied with the picture if I could get it to DVD. I have created a DVD with ROXIO Video Wave but the resolution has been degraded in comparrison to the MPEG file played on my Dell laptop.

Is there any way for me to get the MPEG2 file transferred to DVD without this loss of resolution?

2. pfh

pfh Guest

In my case I'm using Plextor's M205U capture but have found by using Plextor's GoCap tool for adjusting the capture bitrates I can get true 1:1 copy. When I used the WinDVD software that came w/ the unit it did not capture the quality as well (good but not great)- motion scenes had loss of quality.
    So my point would be to see if there is a way for you to increase or set the capture bitrates higher. My settings are 60000kb to a max of 9.8000kb. I read not to exceed 9.8 in order not to exceed the dvd spec.
    I'm new too so my answer might be not what you're looking for. But like I said, with this increased bitrate settings my dvd's now look exactly like the vhs they came from and I couldn't be happier. As far as the actual dvd creation I'm using WinDVD creator to edit/author the captured mpeg. I don't burn to dvd but instead burn to folder on HD. That way I can ignore the "file size might not fit on disc" warnings and continue. If the created ifo folder is still too large for single layer dvd I then run it thru DvdShrink to compress it so it will fit.
    So in short, try to increase the CAPTURE bitrate so as to get the best possible mpeg you can. Just remember, vhs is only so good and nowhere near dvd but at least you should get vhs like picture once you've finished.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 31, 2005
  3. ochssk

ochssk Member

Sounds like your capture card or box converts directly to MPEG2. Make sure that Roxio does not re-encode the video. Re-encoding leads to a loss in quality and MPEG2 should only have to be authored to DVD (unless you need to edit it). The last post about raising the bitrates is worth a try too.

I capture directly to MPEG with a TDK box and use HPs supplied Showbiz software. Now that I have a computer that can handle the capture, I have been pretty pleased with the result from capturing from 8MM video. Showbiz specifically states that they do not re-encode the captured MPEG2 video which I think helps the final DVD quite a bit.

Hope that helps

4. Minion

Minion Senior member

If the Captured Mpeg-2 file is DVD Compliant then you just need a Proper DVD Authoring program to author it to DVD...Try DVDLab or if you want something super Simple try "Tmpgenc DVD Author" ,Both of them will "NOT" re-encode your Captured File...

5. pfh

pfh Guest

you are correct minion, for those of us that have dvd compliant mpegs the DVD Lab program is very nice. Takes a little time to get used to but (as a newbie) I just followed their quick start guide in the help section and really started to get a feel for it.

I recommend to any in our situation to try it out for 30 days at least. You don't have anything to lose.