1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Have I been screwed?

Discussion in 'PS2' started by Silver82, Mar 21, 2003.

1. Silver82

Silver82 Member

Hello u guys!
    I got a modded PS2 yesterday and I'm begginning to think that I got screwed big time!
    U gotta know that I'm a newbie in Modchips and all!
    I had a contact who bought brand new PS2 and sell them back modded!!! He said he had 2 PS2 premodded with Magic4 No swap Modchip that could read and boot anything!!! The questionmark now is that the more I'm reading on this forum, the more I'm messed up! WTF? does magic4 really exist or not?! no one's talking about it here!
    Is it just a piece of junk clone or the likes?
    But the weird thing is that the PS2 actually DOES boot every backup I got and almost 19 times out of 20!
    CDRs DVDrs and even originals!!! The only problem is that it would eventually lock up after some time playing! I noticed that it ALWAYS happens in cinematics and sometimes in gameplay and only on DVDrs. As a matter of example, EVERY SINGLE TIME I play FFX, it freezes in less than 15 minutes...and 1/3 on the very first cinematic,I can'T even get to the 1st save point! And it did froze with ROCKY DVD (the game), and I tried Metal gear solid 2 backup to prove my theory and it did! After about ½hour of intro looping it froze!
    ATV2 did froze too after a while on the demo mode.
    But Contra Shattered soldier NEVER did froze even after 2 hours looping! (but it's a cdr) Have any of you ever experienced such a thing and what did you do to correct it??

Another weird thing I noticed is that the ps2 get more crappy after it froze.
    E.G:"After a lockup in FFX the game won't boot as well as it used to do...I sometime have to retry 4-5 times before it boots up!"

Anyway thanks in advance for the answers!

2. jhnbnblzd

jhnbnblzd Guest

never heard of a magic 4, be all you lock up problem my guess is its a magic 3, either get someone to install a switch for you or switch the chip with a 3.1.....

3. L-dubb

L-dubb Regular member

How much did you pay for the system? There is no Magic 4. There was a cheap clone of the messiah being called that but thats it. I suggest you take up your problems w/ the installer.

4. Silver82

Silver82 Member

I paid 500$ canadian.
    Brand new ps2 worths 299$ canadian here +tax!
    I got 15 DVDR backups with the system *which is commonly 10$ can each around here* so it was quite a deal since I heard that the modchip is worth around 100-150 canadian, considering that 350+150(15x10)=650$
    So I thought I was making a great deal but now I'm sceptik about it!
    Anyway,about that switch thing...how would it help? and switching to Magic 3.1 actutally was my very first intention since I noticed that it use to lock up cause I read a lot about magic 3.1 on modchip.ca and they look like a trustable company and what they're saying about it is good! And what u guys think about the messiah 2??? everyone here says it ROCKS while modchip.ca says it's a simple clone of Magic ? Who's right? who's wrong?

5. Icemonkey

Icemonkey Active member

If you have a Magic 3.0 already installed switching it out for a Magic 3.1 shouldn't be much of a task. Simply desolder the connections from the 3.0 and resolder to the same pad on the 3.1 one by one and you should be all set. The Messiah 2 seems to not have the issues that some games have with the Magic 3.1 but upgrading to that will envolve having to solder a few additional wires to your PS2 mainboard.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2003
  6. jr_

jr_ Guest

The so called Magic 4 is a Magic 3 clone.
    Your symptoms are classic Magic 3 problems.
    You can replace with a Magic 3.1 and fix those and get new ones.

7. Silver82

Silver82 Member

So you guys are saying that I could simply unsolder the chip itself and simply resolder brand new magic 3.1?
    So that means that there wouldn't be any work to be done on the PS2 board???
    Magic 3 and 3.1 have the exact same connections? Then what's the difference between them? The code inside the chip?

8. Temporary

Temporary Member

Yes, the only difference is the code. The 3.1 has it's heating issues dealt with and has some upgraded firmware. All the points are exactly the same so you're good to go. Good luck.

9. Temporary

Temporary Member

Yes, the only difference is the code. The 3.1 has it's heating issues dealt with and has some upgraded firmware. All the points are exactly the same so you're good to go. Good
    luck.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2003
  10. PrnMan

PrnMan Guest

Regardless of orginality, it should work. I dont know y you guys are dissing the magic 2.0-3.0 models. I had absolutely no problems with any of the magic chips.

The freeze in FFX is due to bad media. Use Riteks and verbatims and your problem is solved.

Dont try to replace the chip, its just a waste of money.

11. Temporary

Temporary Member

The freeze is due to one of two things. Either A. Bad install point(there is an alternate W), or B. The chip overheating. The 2.0 doesn't have the heating issue, nor does the 3.1, but the 3.0 does. You can check it out for yourself.

12. Icemonkey

Icemonkey Active member

To PrnMan, I have to say that when I got my Magic 3.0 installed I had all kinds of freeze problems even with Verbatim media and my problem all went away when I changed the chip out for a Magic 3.1. I guess the ultimate solution for the games that don't work with the 3.1 would be to keep the 3.0 and put the on/off switch on it so you can turn it off for the games that don't need it after booting.

13. Temporary

Temporary Member

Thank you very much for giving everyone a personal example.

14. xclonex

xclonex Guest

Have you ever heard of the white cog? I still have the Magic 3.0 and in the beginning it locked up a lot of times for me too, until I made adjustments to the white cog. To get to the white cog you will need to remove the cover on the drive. V7 you will remove four little screws. The white cog is located at the back of the drive. It looks like a white clock gear. Pay close attention to its location. Get a marker a mark the spot on the cog. This will be your default location (just in case you forget where you started from). Now turn it counter clockwise 10 clicks (this is just a starting point) put the top back on and place a cup on top of drive to hold it down or you can just use your hand to hold drive cover on and then play Kingdom Hearts. This is the game I test for Freezes. It runs horribly without any adjustments especially the intro. If it locks up turn it 1 or 2 clicks counter clockwise, then play game again. You may have to turn back 1 or 2 times or vise versa it just depends. You will eventually find the sweet spot and it will play the intro without any locks up. You should not get anymore lock ups. The adjustment is different for every PS2 system. The only con on this is that the adjustment is for that particular media only so if go from Verbatim to Ritek you will have to do this all over again. This has fixed about 80% of my freeze problems with the Magic 3.0 the rest has been due to the bridges or media that I have seen in botched installs. The adjustments have work fine for the Magic 3.0, Magic 3.1, and Messiah 2. This is a very easy fix and probably will take about 5 minutes to do. Just be careful with the reset switch. . I hope this helps and is somewhat clear.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 4, 2003
  15. Oner

Oner Moderator Staff Member

xclonex

Remove your signature IMMEDIATELY. You do not pay for advertising here so you are not allowed to do so in ANY way. Follow forum rules or get banned.

16. Oner

Oner Moderator Staff Member

Thank You very much.