1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Have i fried my memory?

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Silver89, Aug 27, 2004.

1. Silver89

Silver89 Member

Ive recently bought a new case for my pc, including a Antec Truepower 430W.

Yesterday i transfered all of my hardware into this new case, trying to be as carefull as i could. Eventually i got the basics in my new case:

Memory, Video card, processor (with HS and fan, which i might add, i didnt take off for the change).

The only things connected up to the PSU are the mobo, the 2 hdds, 2 cdromdrives, and 3 fans.

Now, after setting up all of the components, i carefully slotted in my 512mb memory module. I then switched on the power at the mains, and turned on the PC at the front, after about 5 seconds i could smell the dreaded burning circuity smell, and, instantly switched my pc off! I then started my pc back up, and it just beeps at me! (one long beep, in a loop), which, on nearly all mobo's, indicates a memory issue!

I have a phoenix bios chip, which has the number 6866 on it or something, so im not really sure what this beeping means, but, im pretty sure its to do with the RAM. But, i came here to see if anyone has had this problem before, or, if they know what i might have done!

And BTW, ive tried blowing on the module, and in the port, and ive tried reseating it, and putting it in the second DIMM slot, but nothing works!! :eek:

I think i might have fried my ram, but, what i also want to know is, if i put some more ram in, could my pc fry this one aswell? :(

Thanks for your help ppl!!!

2. john179

john179 Active member

It sounds like you may have done something to the Ram.If i was you i would check the Ram on another pc first to see if it is working before putting any more ram in your pc.It may be something else but no point putting any more ram in before you know it is.Double check all is wired up correctly.I had alot of burning smell coming off my present pc when i built it and it was down to connecting the usb ports up wrong.

John179

3. Silver89

Silver89 Member

Man, you are my saviour! Ive been waiting for a responce! :p

Anyway, found out it WASNT my ram, and must be my mobo! What you said interested me, could not having the front USB panels short the mobo? i dont think so, but, saying that, how would i know? :p

Im taking it, i just mishandled the mobo, or when i turned it on something shorted it! Im not certain, but im ordering a new mobo tonight, but, if you could tell me of anything that might short the new board, i would like to know! :)

Thanks again!

$ilv3r

4. john179

john179 Active member

The problem i had with the wired the usb up wrong was i plugged my card reader in and it over heated causing a burning smell.I tried it without and still had a burning smell.So i checked the mob instuction to find i had accidently wired wrong.My main problem was i rushed a little to get it all up and running thinking not to look at the mob instructions.If you read word for word of the instuctions all should go well.Take your time and i'm sure you will get it right any problems were here to help.If you get stuck or don't really follow something the guide say's stop and seek advice before you continue.This is probably one of my weak points i tend to over look the guide if i do not understand on the first read.If i took a second read to comprehend from time to time i would not have had half the problems i had.
    John179

5. Dracolith

Dracolith Member

I have the same problem, one long beep. The pc worked fine for about 6 months then one day, i turned it on and it beeped. i turned it off and back on again, it was fine. it worked for a while, then it went back to a beep. off/on it was fine. then one day it went back to the beep and has been doing it since. it is a shuttle mobo with a phoenix d686bios, the ram is fine, i'm using it now. does anyone think there is any hope for this mobo? i was thinking of swapping the bios chip to see if it just went bad....

6. john179

john179 Active member

Have you tried putting your bios back to default.I had a simuler problem when i put my second 512mb in and i found i had to turn the memory speed down in my pc for it stop switching off.I recently put a third 512mb and guess what i set to the correct speed and the thing does not shut off anymore.It could be one small setting out on your bios set up which needs adjusting i would start there.

7. Dracolith

Dracolith Member

Yeah, I can't go in and change my bios settings through setup, but I cleared it with the jumper, that didn't work. I was kinda wondering if my bios went bad, but I can buy a new m/b for less than what it would cost to replace it. I guess I'll just have to go that route. The thing that kills me is that when I called shuttle for a warranty, they told me that if it beeped, the memory is bad. I told them that the memory is fine and works on any other machine i put it in. Their reply? The motherboard is fine, it's your memory.... Incidently, they wouldn't even give me a RA to send it back to see if the board is even still good....

8. john179

john179 Active member

If your mob is still under warrenty do not take no for a answer.If the mob is faulty they have to take it back.If you have to tell them you will report them to trading standards if you are not given a replacement mob or your money back.Then do this as why should you pay for a second mob if it is not a fault of your own.

9. Dracolith

Dracolith Member

I don't believe it is under warranty anymore, it's been sitting on the shelf for a while, now. But it was only six months old when it went out, so they should have just done it anyway, in my opinion.

10. EYEShurt

EYEShurt Regular member

did u put a graphics card in ????????

11. EYEShurt

EYEShurt Regular member

sry didnt read it right

12. EYEShurt

EYEShurt Regular member

is it possible that some of the pins of the mobo might be touching the case

13. Dracolith

Dracolith Member

No, i've removed it from the case and have been testing it on an antistatic bench made of wood.