1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Have i killed my wii?

Discussion in 'Nintendo Wii / Wii U' started by shwing, Aug 7, 2007.

1. shwing

shwing Member

hi there, I recently tried to mod my wii with a wiikey using the long wired method. Whilst soldering one of the wires to a metal contact pad on the wii, the small square metal pad from the wii came away and is now on the end of my wire. Have i ruined my chances of modding my wii? or is there some way to re attach the square piece of metal that came away?

2. N0_0ne

N0_0ne Regular member

I did the same thing to my wii, I dont think theres a way to reattach the contact to the board but if you look where the pad was and follow the wire you'll find it attaches to a chip on the board, its hard as shit to do but you can solder it to where it leads, I did and it works now, good luck

3. shwing

shwing Member

any general soldering tips as to how you did that? looks HARD.

4. N0_0ne

N0_0ne Regular member

dont really have any tips, took me 3 tries before it worked, what I did was put solder on the wire itself then tacked it on there

5. Emerzen

Emerzen Member

I did the same thing w/ 2 pads but got it working. Here are the options:

1. Look for the copper trace that was attached to the pad. Gently scratch off some of the laminate above a portion of the trace to expose the copper wire. Put a small dab of solder over the wire on the board, then solder your wire to that dab.

2. As suggested, follow the trace back to the chip leg and solder directly to this. You will need very fine wire to accomplish this. I took a speaker wire apart and used ONE strand of the multistrand. I tinned the strand. Then, I placed the tinned strand against the leg, heated, and quickly removed the soldering iron (15W). This worked. I then used electrical tape to hold the wire down and protect it. **I know this is poor soldering practice, but it's the only way I could do it. Besides, the wire is so thin the chip leg gets heated up nicely w/out direct contact w/ the iron.

In my case, I used both methods and the Wii works great now w/ a WiiKey. Be patient.